Particle Statistics: Explaining Klimontovich's Formulas and Logic

In summary, the conversation is about statistical theory of non-equilibrium processes in plasma, specifically the phase density and distribution function of particles. The mean concentration of particles and the mean values of products of phase densities are discussed, with a focus on understanding the logic behind the calculations and connections made. It is suggested to seek help from a forum that deals with statistical physics and to provide more context and explanation for a mathematician to understand the physics involved.
kaniello
Hallo, I posted this in General Math, and I decided to post it here also because this room seems more appropriate. The formulas and part of the text are quoted from "Klimontovich - Statistical theory of non-equilibrium processes in a plasma":

Let [itex]N_{a}(\textbf{x},t) =\Sigma_{i=1,N_{a}}\delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_{ai})[/itex] be the phase density of particles of species [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]f_{N}[/itex] the distribution function of the coordinates and momenta of the all [itex]N=\Sigma_{a} N_{a}[/itex] particles of the system respectively.

The statistical average of [itex]N_{a}[/itex] is then

[itex]\overline{N_{a}( \textbf{x},t )}[/itex]=[itex]\int\sum_{i=1,N_{a}}\delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_{ai})f_{N}
\prod_{a}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a1}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a_{N_{a}}}[/itex]

and since all the particles of one kind are identical

=[itex] N_{a} \int\delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_{a1})f_{N}
\prod_{a}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a1}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a_{N_{a}}}[/itex]

If we define

[itex]f_{a}(\textbf{x}_{a1},t)=V \int f_{N}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a2}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a_{N_{a}}}
\prod_{b\neq a}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{b1}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{b_{N_{b}}}[/itex] where [itex]V[/itex] is the volume of the particle, then we can write

[itex]\overline{N_{a}}( \textbf{x},t ) = n_{a} f_{a}(\textbf{x},t)[/itex] where [itex]n_{a}[/itex] is the mean concentration of particles of the kind [itex]a[/itex]

Up to here everything seems ok. He now tries to connect the mean values of the products of the phase densities [itex]N_{a},N_{b}[/itex] in the following way, where my problems come:

Splitting the double sum

[itex]\Sigma_{i=1,N_{a}}\Sigma_{j=1,N_{b}} \delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_{ai}) \delta(\textbf{x}'-\textbf{x}_{bj}) [/itex]

into the two parts (why?)

[itex]\Sigma_{i=1,N_{a}}\Sigma_{j=1,N_{b}}\delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_{ai})\delta(\textbf{x}'-\textbf{x}_{bj}) [/itex]

(for xaixbj when a=b)

+

[itex] \delta_{ab}\Sigma_{j=1,N_{a}} \delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_{ai}) \delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}')[/itex]

we obtain, neglecting unity when compared with [itex]N_{a}[/itex] (when do we compare unity with [itex]N_{a}[/itex] ?)

[itex]\overline{N_{a}( \textbf{x},t )N_{b}( \textbf{x}',t)}=n_{a}n_{b}f_{ab} ( \textbf{x},\textbf{x}',t)+\delta_{ab}n_{a}\delta( \textbf{x}-\textbf{x}')f_{a}(\textbf{x},t) [/itex]

where [itex]f_{ab}(\textbf{x}_{1a},\textbf{x}_{1b},t)=V^{2} \int f_{N}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a2}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{a_{N_{a}}}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{b2}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{b_{N_{b}}}\prod_{c \neq a,b}d^{6}\textbf{x}_{c1}...d^{6}\textbf{x}_{c_{N_{c}}}[/itex]

So, please, can anyone explain me the logic behind this?

Thank you very much in advance,
Kaniello

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be hard for a person only familiar with mathematics to interpret this excerpt from a book on physics. For example, I don't know the the [itex] \delta [/itex] is an indicator function, a Dirac [itex] \delta [/itex], or something else and I certainly don't know what [itex] \delta_{ab} [/itex] or x' represents. You'll probably get a better answer by posting in a section of the forum that deals with statistical physics.

If you want help from a mathematician, I suggest that you give a link that explains the physics that is going on. For example, one link I found about "phase density" is the PDF http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFYEck6SnQDMfBDreU8TobxNNzY4A&cad=rja

Related to Particle Statistics: Explaining Klimontovich's Formulas and Logic

1. What is the purpose of particle statistics?

The purpose of particle statistics is to describe the behavior of large groups of particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a given system. This allows scientists to make predictions about the properties and behavior of these particles based on statistical data.

2. What are Klimontovich's formulas?

Klimontovich's formulas are a set of equations used in statistical mechanics to calculate the probability distribution of particles in a system. These formulas take into account the interactions between particles and the factors that influence their behavior.

3. How are Klimontovich's formulas derived?

Klimontovich's formulas are derived mathematically from the principles of statistical mechanics, which use probability theory to describe the behavior of large groups of particles. These equations take into account the statistical properties of particles and their interactions with each other.

4. What is the difference between classical and quantum particle statistics?

Classical particle statistics describes the behavior of particles that are large and can be observed directly, while quantum particle statistics is used to describe the behavior of particles that are very small, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Quantum particle statistics takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at a very small scale.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle statistics?

Particle statistics has many applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as to predict the properties of materials and chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as semiconductors and nanotechnology.