Particle Velocity: Find $|v(2)|$ & $s(2)$

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and position of an object using the given equations and determining the distance traveled at a specific time. The FTOC is mentioned as a method for solving definite integrals.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5144

$a(t)=3-2t$

$v\left(t\right)=\int a\left(t\right) dt = - t^2 +3t+3$

$\left| v\left(2\right) \right|=5$

$s\left(t\right)=\int v\left(t \right) dt $

$s\left(2\right)=9\frac{1}{3}$

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin with:

\(\displaystyle \d{v}{t}=3-2t\)

Integrate w.r.t $t$:

\(\displaystyle \int_3^{v(t)}\,du=\int_0^t 3-2w\,dw\)

Apply the FTOC and solve for $v(t)$:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=-t^2+3t+3\)

They have asked for the velocity, which is a vector, so you want both the magnitude and the sign (which signifies direction for straight-line motion).

\(\displaystyle v(2)=-(2)^2+3(2)+3=5\)

Next, find the position:

\(\displaystyle \d{x}{t}=-t^2+3t+3\)

Integrate w.r.t $t$:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{x(t)}\,du=\int_0^t -w^2+3w+3\,dw\)

Apply the FTOC:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=-\frac{1}{3}t^3+\frac{3}{2}t^2+3t\)

Now, distance is the magnitude of the position vector, so we should use the absolute value of the position to get the distance.

Hence:

\(\displaystyle |x(2)|=\left|-\frac{1}{3}(2)^3+\frac{3}{2}(2)^2+3(2)\right|=\left|-\frac{8}{3}+6+6\right|=\frac{28}{3}\)

So yes, I agree with your results. :)

That was very helpful but what is FTOC?

I will post some more of these it's still a foggy topic

karush said:
That was very helpful but what is FTOC?

I will post some more of these it's still a foggy topic

I was speaking of the anti-derivative form of the FTOC (Fundamental Theorem Of Calculus), for definite integrals:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=F(b)-F(a)\) where \(\displaystyle \d{F}{x}=f(x)\).

Related to Particle Velocity: Find $|v(2)|$ & $s(2)$

1. What is particle velocity?

Particle velocity is a measure of how fast a particle is moving at a specific point in time. It is typically represented by the symbol v and is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or feet per hour.

2. How do you find the particle velocity at a specific time?

To find the particle velocity at a specific time, you need to know the function that describes the particle's motion. This function is typically given in terms of time, and you can plug in the specific time value to find the corresponding velocity value.

3. What does $|v(2)|$ represent?

The expression $|v(2)|$ represents the absolute value of the particle velocity at time 2. This means that the direction of the velocity is not taken into account, only the magnitude or speed.

4. How is particle velocity related to particle position?

Particle velocity and particle position are related through the derivative function. The derivative of position with respect to time gives the velocity, and the second derivative gives the acceleration. This means that the velocity at a specific time can be found by taking the derivative of the position function at that time.

5. What is the significance of finding $s(2)$?

The value of $s(2)$ represents the position of the particle at time 2. This can be useful for predicting the future motion of the particle or understanding its current location in relation to other objects or points in space.