Particle's Trajectory: Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the parametric equations of a particle's trajectory, given a constant force F and initial position vector r0, is a parabola. This is achieved by setting up an orthonormal basis that exploits the symmetries of the problem and using the given information to show that y' is proportional to x' of the second order, which is the equation of a parabola.
stunner5000pt
given a particle of mass m where r is the position vector for its trajectory
F is the force it experiences
p is its momentum
r0 represents the initial position vector
and r0 F, p are all constant vectors
show that
[tex] \vec{r}' = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\vec{F}}{m} t^2 + \frac{\vec{p}}{m} t [/tex] where
[tex] \vec{r}' = \vec{r} - \vec{r_0} [/tex]
represents teh parametric equations of a parabola if F is not parallel to p
ok so the angular momentum of the particle is
[tex] \vec{L} = \vec{r}' \times \vec{p} = (\frac{1}{2} \frac{\vec{F}}{m} t^2 + \frac{\vec{p}}{m} t) \times \vec{p} = \frac{t^2}{2m} (\vec{F} \times \vec{p}) + \frac{t}{m} (\vec{p} \times \vec{p}) [/tex]

now certainly p cross p is zero
and we end up with
[tex] \vec{L} = \frac{t^2}{2m} (\vec{F} \times \vec{p}) [/tex]
and this is not zero because F is not parallel to p
so this is a parabola because it is second order with responect to t?
this is the part that I am not too sure about...
Is this right at all first of all?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you're looking at angular momentum. Why don't you just integrate both sides of Newton's second law twice with respect to time?

How can force and monentum both be contant? Did you mean to say that p is the initial momentum?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
are you saying that I should integrate [tex] \frac{dp}{dt} = F [/tex] with respect to time twice?

I don't understand how that would relate the question at hand

r0, F and p are the initial values
Im trying to prove that r' is the parametric equation of a parabola...

Sorry, I miunderstood your original question. One way to do this is to choose an xyz coordinate system such that: F is along the y-axis; FxP is along the z-axis; z'_0 = 0. Then it is fairly easy to show that r' = (x', y', z') is such that z' = 0 and y' = Ax' + Bx'^2, where A and B are constants.

Regards,
George

how or why are we making the assumption that z0 = 0?? Isn't what you're suggesting making hte problem lose its generality?

All you have to do is integrate the equation

[tex]\frac {d^2 (\vec r - \vec r_0)} {dt^2} = \frac {\vec F}{m}[/tex]

when [itex]\vec F[/itex] is a constant vector. Your result should follow with little effort.

stunner5000pt said:
how or why are we making the assumption that z0 = 0?? Isn't what you're suggesting making hte problem lose its generality?

The assumption z0 = 0 is not being made - you're equation implies that when t = 0, r' = 0, so z'0 = 0. Notice the prime.

It seems that Tide has interpreted your question the same way that I initially did. Let's see if I understand correctly now - you are *not* asking how to show how r' = F/(2m) t^2 + p/m t follows if F is constant.

Regards,
George

George,

Yes, I did interpret the problem that way. I see now that stunner is trying to prove that the path is a parabola.

One way to do it is to show there exists a vertex and a directrix such that points on the trajectory are equidistant from the vertex and corresponding points along the directrix.

i think i like tide's suggested method. First question i asked myself was how would you show something was a parabola - using a vertex and a directrix

Let me expand on my previous comments.

First, choose an orthonormal basis [itex]\left\{ e_{1}, e_{2}, e_{3} \right\}[/itex] for space that exploits the symmetries of the problem.

[itex]\vec{r}' \cdot \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{p} \right) = 0[/itex] gives that the motion takes place in the plane spanned by [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex], so choose one of the basis vectors, [itex]e_{3}[/itex] say, perpendicular to this plane. Consequently, the other 2 basis vectors are in the plane spanned by [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex].

It would be nice to choose the other basis vectors to be in the directions of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex], but we aren't given that [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] are orthogonal to each other. The best we can do is choos one of the basis vectors along either [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] or [itex]\vec{p}[/itex].

Which one? Think of the physical situation - motion with a constant force. An example of this is motion under the influence of gravity (and neglecting air resistance) near the EartH's surface. A thrown ball follows a parabola, with the symmtry axis of the parabola parallel to the force of gravity. Thus, choose [itex]e_{2}[/itex] to be in the direction of [itex]-\vec{F}[/itex], and [itex]e_{1}[/itex] to be perpendicular to both [itex]e_{2}[/itex] and [itex]e_{3}[/itex]. Hence, motion is confined to the plane spanned by [itex]e_{1}[/itex] and [itex]e_{2}[/itex].

Since [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is in the plane spanned by [itex]e_{1}[/itex] and [itex]e_{2}[/itex], we can write

[tex]\vec{p} = p \mathrm{cos} \theta e_{1} + p \mathrm{sin} \theta e_{2},[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the constant angle between (the initial momentum) [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] and [itex]e_{1}[/itex].

We now have

[tex]\vec{r}' = x' e_{1} + y' e_{2} + z' e_{3} = - \frac{F}{2m} t^2 e_{2} + \frac{p}{m} t \mathrm{cos} \theta e_{1} + \frac{p}{m} t \mathrm{sin} \theta e_{2}.[/tex]

Note that [itex]z' = 0[/itex]. Equate components of [itex]e_{1}[/itex] on both side, and solve for [itex]t[/itex] in terms of [itex]x'[/itex]. Use this to eliminate all t's in the expression.

What do you get?

Are you at U of T or York? My wife graduated from both.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
so the basic idea of this problem is to show that y is proportional to x of the second order, right? Because such motion describes a parabola.

i am at york

thank you for the help

stunner5000pt said:
so the basic idea of this problem is to show that y is proportional to x of the second order, right?
Almost - it turns out (I thin) that y' = Ax'^2 + Bx', where A and B are (somewhat complicated looking) constants. This is the equation of a parabola. If you complete the square (but you don't to do this), you'll find that (y' - constant) is proportional to (x' - constant)^2.

There might be a much simpler approach to this question.

i am at york

I was in (actually, just north of) Toronto for the holidays. I meant to get down to Steacie (if it was open), but, unfortunately, this didn't happen. I got quite a surprise the first time I walked into the 'new' Steacie.

I used to like to eat at Jimmy the Greek and Falafel Hut.

Regards,
George

oh i have a question... why is it -F?? Is it a typo or is there a specific reason for it ? Convenience?

FAQ: Particle's Trajectory: Classical Mechanics

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion of particles under the influence of forces. It is based on three laws of motion proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. How is a particle's trajectory determined in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a particle's trajectory is determined by solving equations of motion that describe how the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration change over time. This is typically done using calculus and the laws of motion.

3. What factors affect a particle's trajectory in classical mechanics?

A particle's trajectory in classical mechanics can be affected by several factors, including the initial position and velocity of the particle, the forces acting on the particle, and any external influences such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can a particle's trajectory in classical mechanics be predicted with 100% accuracy?

In theory, yes, a particle's trajectory in classical mechanics can be predicted with 100% accuracy. However, in practice, there may be small uncertainties and errors due to factors such as measurement limitations and external influences.

5. How is classical mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of many other branches of physics, including thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior of macroscopic objects and is still widely used in many areas of modern physics.

Back