Pascals triangle problem(discrete mathematics)

In summary, to determine which row of pascals triangle contains 3 consecutive entries in the ratio 1:2:3, the equation (n, k) = n!/k!(n-k)! must be used. By using the rule of factorials, the value of n can be solved and substituted into the equation to find the values of n and k.
stanleyman

Homework Statement

Determine which row of pascals triangle contains 3 consecutive entries that are in the ratio 1:2:3.

Homework Equations

(n, k ) = n!/k!(n-k)!

The Attempt at a Solution

(n,k):(n,k+1):(n,k+2)
1 : 2: : 3

What I did was cross multiply.

2 times (n,k) = 1 times (n,k+1) and 3 times (n,k+1) = 2 times (n,k+2)
2(n!/(k!(n-k)!) = n!/(k+1)!(n-k-1)! and 3(n!/(k+1)!(n-k-1)!) = 2(n!/(k+2)!(n-k-2)!

I know that i should solve for n in the first equation then substitute n in the second equation to get n and k. I'm stuck on the algebra part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what are some of the rules of factorials?

n! = n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*2*1

n! = n*(n-1)!

So if we have an equation such as

n! = 10*(n-1)!

then to solve this, we would use the rule n! = n*(n-1)! to obtain

n*(n-1)! = 10*(n-1)!

then you can divide through by (n-1)! and find n=10. See if you can apply this rule to solve your equation.

thank you i got the answer.

Related to Pascals triangle problem(discrete mathematics)

1. What is Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a mathematical pattern named after the French mathematician Blaise Pascal. It is a triangular arrangement of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. The triangle starts with a 1 at the top and each subsequent row begins and ends with a 1.

2. How do you create Pascal's Triangle?

To create Pascal's Triangle, start with a 1 at the top. Then, for each subsequent row, write a 1 at the beginning and end. For the numbers in between, add the two numbers directly above it. This will create the triangle pattern.

3. What is the significance of Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle has many applications in mathematics, including in combinatorics, probability, and number theory. It is also used in the field of discrete mathematics to solve problems related to combinations and permutations.

4. How is Pascal's Triangle related to the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula used to expand expressions of the form (a+b)^n, where a and b are numbers and n is a positive integer. Pascal's Triangle provides a visual representation of the coefficients in the expanded form of (a+b)^n. The coefficients in each row of the triangle correspond to the coefficients in the expanded form.

5. How can Pascal's Triangle be used to solve problems in discrete mathematics?

Pascal's Triangle can be used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations, such as finding the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger group. The values in the triangle can also be used to calculate probabilities in certain situations.