Patent Advice for Golf Putter Innovation - Student Seeking Next Steps

• Thread starter shamrock5585
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patent
In summary, Bryan is looking for advice on where to go from here after coming up with an idea for a putter with a moving counter weight. He is trying to get investors and get a patent for the idea, but is having trouble finding the money. He recommends reading "Patent it Yourself" by the Nolo Press, and also listening to feedback from other people who try the putter.
shamrock5585
So I am currently a student at Wentworth Institute of Technology and I am studying Electromechanical Engineering. I am going into my 5th year and I have a lot of great ideas floating around in my head. I came across a great idea for a golf club that should help an average golfer with their putting. So basically I am looking to get a patent on this idea so that I could go further by selling it to manufacturers or starting a business. The idea is for a putter and it has a moving counter weight... I have looked everywhere and I have not seen any rule that prohibits this in golf.

So I am looking for advice where to go from here... I have gone to an invention website already and talked about the idea with them. For 800 dollars they have put together a market report for the idea and told me that the next step is to get investors to get it off the ground and get the patent. The only problem is they have done their part and expect me to come up with around $10,000 to get the actual patent. Like I said, I am a college student and definately do not have access to large amounts of money at this time. I would really appreciate anyone that has some insight to where I should go next or what to do.

I feel this idea has a lot of potential seeing as there is no other idea like this and that golf is an extremely large market to tap into. The club should be low cost to manufacture and golf is an international sport. I think this idea has a lot of potential pending how well the prototype works.

I am trying to put together a business report and am in the process of making a prototype...
What next?

Please Help!
Bryan

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you, I wouldn't give anyone any more money until you have built the prototype and worked out the bugs. Good as the idea may be on paper, there could be unexpected problems you discover once the thing is actually in your hands.

Once you build one, let other people try it and listen carefully to their feedback.

yes i understand this... i have edited the idea many times to make it better and better and i understand there will still be bugs in the final product that need to be worked out... but I need advice on where to go once i have the prototype up and ready...

This is an excellent book for you to get and read:

http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/ObjectID/139AEDE9-69A0-4810-A7A87D2AD5422664/310/

"Patent it Yourself" by the Nolo Press. Even if you end up paying a patent lawyer to write and file the patent, the knowledge that you get from this book is very helpful. It also deals a lot with how to protect your rights to the idea.

One word of caution, though, about new ideas in golf. If something comes along that can give an advantage to golfers who use it, you have to be concerned that the rules will get changed to not allow the innovation. Golf can be pretty bad in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks... any other advice is greatly appreciated!

FAQ: Patent Advice for Golf Putter Innovation - Student Seeking Next Steps

1. What is patent advice and why is it important for golf putter innovation?

Patent advice refers to legal guidance on obtaining a patent for a new golf putter innovation. A patent grants the inventor exclusive rights to make, use, and sell their invention for a certain period of time. It is important for golf putter innovation because it protects the inventor's idea from being copied by others, giving them a competitive advantage in the market.

2. How do I know if my golf putter innovation is eligible for a patent?

To be eligible for a patent, your golf putter innovation must be novel, non-obvious, and have a practical or useful application. This means it cannot have been previously patented, must be significantly different from existing putters, and must have a clear purpose or function.

3. What are the steps to obtaining a patent for my golf putter innovation?

The first step is to conduct a patent search to ensure your idea is not already patented. Then, you will need to prepare and file a patent application, which includes a detailed description of your golf putter innovation and any relevant drawings or diagrams. The application will be reviewed by a patent examiner and, if approved, you will be granted a patent.

4. How long does the patent process take?

The patent process can vary in length, but on average it takes 2-3 years to obtain a patent. The timeline can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the invention, the backlog at the patent office, and any challenges or rejections that may arise during the review process.

5. Do I need a lawyer to help with the patent process?

While it is not required to have a lawyer, it is highly recommended to seek legal advice from a patent attorney or agent. They have the expertise and knowledge to guide you through the patent process, ensure your application is complete and accurate, and help you navigate any challenges that may arise. This can increase your chances of successfully obtaining a patent for your golf putter innovation.

Back