Path dependent function with a defined path

In summary, the question is about integrating along a definite path to form a 2 dimensional field and then taking partial derivatives along directions other than the path. The conversation also discusses the possibility of treating the field as path independent and evaluating the total derivative at a constant x, but it is unclear if this is allowed due to the constraint set by the relationship between dx and dz in equation 1. The question also asks if points along different paths starting at the origin and with positive values for x and z are connected.
aise0603
This question is about if I have a path dependent function but a definite path, then can I integrate along the path to form a 2 dimensional field and then take partial derivatives along directions other than the path? And e.g. are points along path A connected to path B? (Note: all paths start at the origin and x and z can only be positive)

If I consider a non-conservative vector field
[itex]\vec{dt}= \frac{\vec{ds}}{V(z)}[/itex]

where

[itex]ds = \sqrt{dx^{2}+dz^{2}}[/itex]
and
V(z) is only a function of Z and not of X

so I specify the path:

[itex]p = \frac{sin \Theta}{V(z)} = \frac{dx}{V(z)\sqrt{dx^{2}+dz^{2}}}[/itex] (eq. 1)

and integrate along the path to create the field:

[itex]t = \int_{0}^{z }\frac{dz}{\sqrt{1-p^{2}V(z)^{2}}}[/itex] (eq. 2)

and also:

[itex]x = \int_{0}^{z }\frac{pV(z)dz}{\sqrt{1-p^{2}V(z)^{2}}}[/itex] (eq. 3)

may I now treat t as path independent? In other words, may I now take the total derivative and evaluate at a constant x like this:

[itex]dt = \frac{\partial t}{\partial z}|_{p}dz + \frac{\partial t}{\partial p}|_{z}dp[/itex] (eq. 4)

[itex]dx = \frac{\partial x}{\partial z}|_{p}dz + \frac{\partial x}{\partial p}|_{z}dp[/itex] (eq. 5)

and then evaluate eq. 5 at a fixed x so that dx = 0

It seems to me that I can't do this because I think that I have defined a relationship between dx and dz in equation 1. Since t is path dependent, p must be in the definition of t so setting dx = 0 violates the constraint that p has set on the relationship between dx and dz. Is what I was thinking correct? Or am I allowed to take the total derivative of X and set dx = 0? Is the point t(x,z) connected to t(x,z+dz)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can any of the math geniuses comment on this? Thanks,

Related to Path dependent function with a defined path

1. What is a path dependent function?

A path dependent function is a mathematical function where the output depends not only on the current input value, but also on the path or sequence of input values that were used to reach that value. In other words, the output is affected by the history of input values.

2. How is a path dependent function different from a regular function?

A regular function, also known as a path independent function, only depends on the current input value and is not affected by the path or sequence of input values. The output is solely determined by the current input value.

3. What is an example of a path dependent function?

An example of a path dependent function is the cumulative distribution function (CDF) in statistics. The value of the CDF at a particular point is affected by all the previous values that have been inputted, as it represents the probability of the random variable being less than or equal to that point.

4. How is a path dependent function useful in science?

Path dependent functions are useful in science because they can model complex systems that are affected by past events or inputs. They allow for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena and can help predict future outcomes based on past patterns.

5. What are some challenges of working with path dependent functions?

One challenge of working with path dependent functions is that they can be more computationally intensive, as the entire path or sequence of input values must be taken into account. Additionally, it can be difficult to interpret the results of a path dependent function, as the output may not be solely determined by the current input value.