Path difference between the waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a right angle triangle to determine the path difference between two waves. The correct formula is given as d cos θ, and it is clarified that the path difference can be expressed in terms of length rather than fractions of wavelengths. The conversation concludes with a thank you for the clarification.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-2_20-59-1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I formed a right angle triangle between the arrow downwards,d, and perpendicular line x from arrow. As such, sin θ = x/d.

x= d sinθ
path difference: d sinθ/λ

My answer is C, but answer is B. Where did cos θ come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the figure, in which case would you expect it to be no difference in path length?

Your description of how you formed your triangle is not very rigorous, so I may be misinterpreting what you've described. That said, I think you've allocated angle ##\theta## to the wrong corner of your triangle.

Perhaps you could sketch your construction on the image and post the result?

DrClaude said:
Looking at the figure, in which case would you expect it to be no difference in path length?
Is it when the waves are received at angle perpendicular to the horizontal?

toforfiltum said:
Is it when the waves are received at angle perpendicular to the horizontal?
Which corresponds to which value of θ?

DrClaude said:
Which corresponds to which value of θ?
90°?

gneill said:
Your description of how you formed your triangle is not very rigorous, so I may be misinterpreting what you've described. That said, I think you've allocated angle ##\theta## to the wrong corner of your triangle.

Perhaps you could sketch your construction on the image and post the result?
upload_2015-11-2_21-26-47.png

I did it this way, but I think now I'm wrong to assume that x is parallel to the wavelength, right?

You've drawn the correct triangle but as you say, you've chosen the wrong "leg" for x. You want the leg that lies along the wave's path.
Fig1.png

gneill said:
You've drawn the correct triangle but as you say, you've chosen the wrong "leg" for x. You want the leg that lies along the wave's path.
View attachment 91213
Ah, I see now why it's cos θ. But, why it is not D now? Shouldn't path difference be expressed in terms of fraction of wavelengths?

toforfiltum said:
Ah, I see now why it's cos θ. But, why it is not D now? Shouldn't path difference be expressed in terms of fraction of wavelengths?
In this case the path difference is just the length, otherwise the problem would have specified to express it in terms of wavelengths.

Likes toforfiltum
gneill said:
In this case the path difference is just the length, otherwise the problem would have specified to express it in terms of wavelengths.
Ok. Thanks!

Related to Path difference between the waves

What is the path difference between waves?

The path difference between waves is the difference in distance traveled by two waves from their respective sources to a given point. It is a measurement of the phase difference between the waves and is used to determine interference patterns.

How is the path difference between waves calculated?

The path difference between waves can be calculated by finding the difference in the distance traveled by the waves. This can be done by measuring the distance from each wave source to the point of interest and subtracting the shorter distance from the longer distance.

What is the significance of the path difference between waves?

The path difference between waves is significant because it determines the interference pattern that will be produced when the waves meet at a given point. It can also be used to calculate the phase difference between the waves and determine if they are in phase or out of phase.

How does the path difference between waves affect interference patterns?

The path difference between waves is directly proportional to the interference pattern produced. If the path difference is an integer multiple of the wavelength, constructive interference will occur, resulting in a larger amplitude. If the path difference is a half-integer multiple of the wavelength, destructive interference will occur, resulting in a cancellation of the waves.

Can the path difference between waves be negative?

Yes, the path difference between waves can be negative. This occurs when one wave travels a longer distance than the other, resulting in a negative value for the path difference. A negative path difference can lead to destructive interference if the waves are out of phase by a half-wavelength.