Path of a free particle over a sphere

gordunox
Homework Statement
Consider a particle of mass m whose motion is restricted to occur on the surface of a sphere of radius R. There are no other forces acting on the particle. Demonstrate that the motion occurs along a circle on the sphere.
Relevant Equations
$$\phi=-\frac{c_{2}}{c_{1}}\cot\theta+c_{4}$$
1719207621953.png
1719207637143.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Try working from the other end, find the relationship between ##\theta## and ##\phi## on a great circle.
E.g. let ##\vec P## be a fixed point on a unit sphere and ##\vec Q## be ##\pi/2## away from it. Write each in Cartesian form but using spherical polar coordinates. The dot product is zero. This gives a relationship between the latitude and longitude of Q, the locus being a great circle.
(But the mix of angle and trig in your equation looks very unlikely to me. Maybe do a sanity check on special cases first; ##\theta=0##, for example.)

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
Check your equation for ##\dot{p}_\theta##.

Likes MatinSAR
Couldn’t a free particle move along a line of latitude?

Frabjous said:
Couldn’t a free particle move along a line of latitude?
Only at the equator. Elsewhere it would require a force with a component tangential to the surface.

haruspex said:
Only at the equator. Elsewhere it would require a force with a component tangential to the surface.
How does a particle with an initial velocity not pointed in a great circle direction move then. It cannot be on a great circle.

vela said:
Check your equation for ##\dot{p}_\theta##.
You are right, that's the mistake. I will change the equation and see what I get.

Frabjous said:
How does a particle with an initial velocity not pointed in a great circle direction move then. It cannot be on a great circle.
How can the velocity not be in a direction of a great circle?

vela said:
How can the velocity not be in a direction of a great circle?
You’re correct. I had the wrong picture in my head.

I mean, the easy way of solving this is to arrange your coordinates such that the particle is at ##\theta = \pi/2## and ##\dot\theta(0) = 0##. This is always possible and the solution is an affinely parametrised equator. You can always transform back to any other coordinate system should you really really want to.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Back