Patient clinic Probability Questions

• Thread starter FaradayLaws
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: Assuming that the typing kit can only process one donor at a time, the probability that the accident victim will be saved is 0.43 if only one kit is available.
FaradayLaws
Hello I have been stuck on these two probability questions.

Homework Statement

1) Patients arriving at a hospital outpatient clinic can select one of three stations for service.
Suppose that physicians are assigned randomly to the stations and that the patients therefore
have no station preference. Three patients arrive at the clinic and their selection of stations is
observed.
a List the sample points for the experiment.
b Let A be the event that each station receives a patient. List the sample points in A.
c Make a reasonable assignment of probabilities to the sample points and find P(A).

Attempt:
a) I think I may not be able to interpret the question properly. I'm understanding that the experiment is observing how three patients can be positioned in three stations for services. I'm not sure but the cardinality of the sample space is 3*2*1=6 ?and the points must satisfy
S1= Station 1, S2= Station 2, S3= Station 3
a= room a, b= room b, c= room c
The sample points must satisfy { (i,j) where i and j are combinations with regards to order of Station (S1,S2,S3) and Room ( a,b,c)}
I'm not sure this is the correct response.

b) Given that I've interpreted the question correctly, Sample Space of A= { (S1,a), (S1, b), (S1,c), (S2,a), (S2, b), (S2,c), (S3,a), (S3, b), (S3,c)}

c) Using the equiprobability assumption; each sample pt takes weight 1/6.

2) An accident victim will die unless in the next 10 minutes he receives some type A, Rh-positive
blood, which can be supplied by a single donor. The hospital requires 2 minutes to type a
prospective donor’s blood and 2 minutes to complete the transfer of blood. Many untyped
donors are available, and 40% of them have type A, Rh-positive blood. What is the probability
that the accident victim will be saved if only one blood-typing kit is available? Assume that
the typing kit is reusable but can process only one donor at a time.

Attempt:
I'm not sure how to solve this at all. I'm understanding that what's given to me is
P( type A)= 0.40
P( will be saved | only one blood type kit is avaible)= ?
Not sure how to process from here.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding the first problem, I think the intent is to assume that each patient chooses a station at random, and that the choice of one patient is independent of the choice of another.

I don't understand the distinction you are making between stations and "rooms." The latter aren't even mentioned in the problem statement.

The problem deals with two types of objects: patients and stations. You could therefore define the set of sample points (outcomes) as ordered triplets (i, j, k) with the meaning that patient 1 selects station i, patient 2 selects station j, and patient 3 selects station k.

Now answer this: how many different (i, j, k) samples are there, and what probability should be assigned for each one?

Thanks !

So the sample space contains 3^3= 27 possibilities and each sample point is associated with probability of 1/27.

Related to Patient clinic Probability Questions

1. What is the purpose of probability questions in a patient clinic?

Probability questions are used to predict the likelihood of certain events or outcomes in a patient's medical condition. This can help healthcare professionals make informed decisions about treatment options and potential risks.

2. How are probability questions relevant to patient care?

Probability questions allow healthcare professionals to assess the risk and potential outcomes of different treatment options for a patient. This can help them make decisions that are in the best interest of the patient's health and well-being.

3. Can probability questions be used to diagnose a medical condition?

No, probability questions alone cannot be used to diagnose a medical condition. They are a tool used to assess the likelihood of certain outcomes and assist in making treatment decisions, but a diagnosis requires a thorough evaluation by a healthcare professional.

4. What types of probability questions are commonly used in patient clinics?

Some common types of probability questions used in patient clinics include risk assessment, predictive modeling, and decision analysis. These can help healthcare professionals determine the best course of action for a patient's care.

5. How accurate are probability questions in predicting outcomes for patients?

The accuracy of probability questions depends on various factors, such as the quality of the data and the complexity of the medical condition. While they can provide valuable insights, they should not be the sole basis for making medical decisions. It is important for healthcare professionals to use their clinical judgement and consider other factors as well.

Back