[PDE] 2D Vibrating Plate (Unique Solution)

In summary, the problem at hand involves a region Ω in ℝ^2 with a smooth boundary, where there is a plate of shape Ω and clamped edges that is approximated by the equation ∂^2u/∂t^2=-Δ^2u. The problem also specifies initial conditions and the goal is to show that there is at most one solution. Using an energy method, it can be shown that if w=u-\tilde{u} solves the problem with homogeneous initial data and w\equiv 0 on Ω, then the solution is unique. To prove this, the energy and its derivative with respect to time are defined and it is shown that \frac{d}{dt}E(t
Arkuski
We have a region [itex]Ω[/itex] in [itex]ℝ^2[/itex] with a smooth boundary. There is a plate of shape [itex]Ω[/itex] and clamped edges which is approximated by the following equation:
$$\frac{∂^2u}{∂t^2}=-Δ^2u$$
$$u(x,t)=0\hspace{4ex} x\in ∂Ω$$
$$Du(x,t)\cdot\hat{n}=0\hspace{4ex} x\in ∂Ω$$
[itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is the outward pointing unit vector on the boundary of [itex]Ω[/itex]. Moreover, we specify the following initial conditions:
$$u(x,0)=g(x)$$
$$u_t(x,0)=h(x)$$
Given all of this, we wish to show our problem has at most one solution.

So the way I went about this was to let [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{u}[/itex] solve the problem. We can consturct a solution [itex]w=u-\tilde{u}[/itex] that solves the PDE with homogeneous initial data. If [itex]w\equiv 0[/itex] on [itex]Ω[/itex], then our solution is unique.

I am using the second edition of Lawrence Evans' Partial Differential Equations, and they use an energy method to prove uniqueness of a solution of the wave equation with given boundary/initial data. They define energy and its derivative with respect to time to be the following:
$$E(t):=\frac{1}{2}\displaystyle\int_Ωw^2_t(x,t)+|Dw(x,t)|^2dx$$
$$\frac{d}{dt}E(t)=\displaystyle\int_Ωw_tw_tt+Dw\cdot Dw_tdx$$
I have difficulty following the next step:
$$\frac{d}{dt}E(t)=\displaystyle\int_Ωw_t(w_{tt}-Δw)dx$$
From there they go on to say that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}E(t)=0[/itex] and a chain of intuitive observations leads to the desired [itex]w\equiv 0[/itex]. I am confused by two things:

(1)Why does [itex]Dw\cdot Dw_t=-w_tΔw[/itex]? Where does the negative come from?

(2)If I were to replicate this for the higher order problem I posted, would I have to find more derivatives of energy to prove uniqueness?

Thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
!For (1), the negative comes from the fact that Δw is a scalar and Dw_t is a vector, which means that their dot product will involve a negative sign. For (2), yes, you would need to find more derivatives of energy in order to prove uniqueness for the higher order problem.

Related to [PDE] 2D Vibrating Plate (Unique Solution)

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model physical systems and phenomena in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a 2D vibrating plate?

A 2D vibrating plate is a thin, flat object that vibrates in two dimensions. It is often used as an idealized model for studying vibrations and waves in physical systems, such as membranes and plates in acoustics and structural mechanics.

3. Why is the solution to the 2D vibrating plate PDE considered unique?

The solution to the 2D vibrating plate PDE is considered unique because it satisfies certain boundary conditions and initial conditions that are unique to the specific physical system being modeled. This means that there is only one possible solution that accurately describes the behavior of the vibrating plate.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a vibrating plate?

The behavior of a vibrating plate is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the plate, its shape and size, the type of support it is attached to, and the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations. These factors can influence the mode shapes and natural frequencies of the plate.

5. How is the solution to the 2D vibrating plate PDE typically obtained?

The solution to the 2D vibrating plate PDE is typically obtained using numerical methods, such as finite element analysis or finite difference methods. These methods involve discretizing the plate into smaller elements and solving the resulting system of equations to obtain an approximate solution. Analytical solutions may also be possible for certain simplified cases.