PDE Helmholtz eq. in 3D + boundary value)

In summary: This is exactly what I was looking for! In summary, you need to find a solution to the following equation: E(z,r,\theta)=Z(z)R(r)\Theta(/theta) where Z and R are constants and \theta is a function of \rho and z. To do this, you can sum a linear combination of P_{C}(\rho)Z_{C}(z) over all C.
marqushogas
Hi!This is a quite sophisticated problem, but it’s interesting and challenging!

Consider the following case: Let’s say we have a 3-dimensional disk with a radius [itex]r_{2}[/itex] and a thickness [itex]d[/itex] (so it actually is a cylinder with a quite short height compared to radius). We’re interested in solving the (complex) vectorfield [itex]E_{z}[/itex] directed in the [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] direction for this disk. The PDE for this field is:

[itex]\nabla^2 E_{z}+k \sigma E_{z}=0[/itex]

where [itex]\sigma\geq0[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] is a pure imaginary number, with a real part 0 and a negative imaginary part. This disk has cylindrical rotation symmetry so [itex]E_{z}[/itex] does not depend on [itex]\phi[/itex]. If we choose our cylindrical coordinate system so that the z-axis passes through the center and that z=0 at one of the circular planes of the disk; then the boundary values on the disk are the following:

1. [itex]E_{z}(\rho,z=0)=0[/itex] for all [itex]\rho\in[0,r_{2}][/itex].
2. [itex]\int_0^{r_{2}}E_{z}(\rho,z' )\rho\,d\rho=0[/itex] for all [itex]z' \in(0,d)[/itex].
3. [itex]\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}E_{z}(\rho,z=d)\rho\,d\rho=-I/\sigma[/itex], where [itex]0 \leq r_{1} \leq r_{2}[/itex] is a constant and [itex]I[/itex] is a complex constant.
4. [itex]E_{z}(r' ,z=d)=0[/itex] for all [itex]r' \in[r_{0},r_{1}][/itex], where [itex]r_{0}[/itex] is a constant such that [itex]0 \leq r_{0} \leq r_{1} \leq r_{2}[/itex].
5. [itex]\int_0^{r_{0}}E_{z}(\rho,z=d)\rho d \rho=I/\sigma[/itex].
6. Obviously [itex]E_z[/itex] must also be finite for all points in the disk.

I would be very thankful for any insight or idea on how to solve this problem (full solutions not necessary acquired!). So if you can help me in any way I owe you a huge amount of thankfulness and respect!

(I have posted this problem in the classical physics forum as well because the background to the problem is in electromagnetism, but the problem here is mainly mathematical)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like a "separation of variables" problem. Look for a solution of the form [itex]E(z, r, \theta)= Z(z)R(r)\Theta(/theta)[/itex]

Once you do that, you will probably find that the equations in z and [itex]\theta[/itex] are relatively simple "constant coefficients" equations and that the equation in r is a "Bessel" equation.

Thanks, I have tried separation of variables but I'm not able to make the solution satisfy the boundary conditions and the sums are becoming quite hard to evaluate I think. (if you've done this would you like to show me?)

In more detail I arrived with one factor that is a function of [itex]\rho[/itex] alone and another that is a function [itex]z[/itex] alone (in this problem we does not have a dependence of [itex]\phi[/itex]). In fact I got:

[itex]P_{C}(\rho) = A_{C} J_{0}(j\sqrt{C}\rho)[/itex]

[itex]Z_{C}(z) = B_{C} e^{z \sqrt{-k\sigma-C}}+D_{C} e^{-z \sqrt{-k\sigma-C}}[/itex]

([itex]A, B, D[/itex] being constants yet to be determined)

and [itex]C[/itex] is the (arbitrary) separation constant. To get a more general solution you can sum a linear combination of [itex]P_{C}(\rho)Z_{C}(z)[/itex] over all [itex]C[/itex], so that

[itex]E_{z} = \sum_{C}\alpha_{C}P_{C}(\rho)Z_{C}(z)[/itex]

Where [itex]\alpha_{C}[/itex] is some "constant" depending on [itex]C[/itex]. I have tried to choose [itex]C = -k\sigma +n^2[/itex] where [itex]n[/itex] is a positive integer so that the sum would actually look like a Fourier series (easy to evaluate). But then I can't make it satisfy the boundary condition! Any idea of how to choose [itex]C[/itex] in a smart way?? Or something else?

Big thanks!

Related to PDE Helmholtz eq. in 3D + boundary value)

1. What is the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value?

The PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value is a partial differential equation that describes wave propagation in three-dimensional space, taking into account the boundary conditions of the system. It is commonly used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

2. What are the applications of the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value?

The PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value has many applications, including modeling sound waves in a room, analyzing electromagnetic fields in a cavity, and simulating fluid flow in a closed container. It is also used in medical imaging and seismology.

3. How is the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value solved?

The PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value can be solved using a variety of numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively to obtain a numerical solution.

4. What are the challenges of solving the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value?

One of the main challenges of solving the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value is the large number of variables and complex boundary conditions involved. This can make the problem computationally intensive and require significant processing power. Additionally, the presence of singularities or complex geometries can make finding an accurate solution difficult.

5. How is the accuracy of the solution to the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value evaluated?

The accuracy of the solution to the PDE Helmholtz equation in 3D + boundary value can be evaluated by comparing it to a known analytical solution or by using convergence analysis. Convergence analysis involves comparing the solution obtained with different levels of discretization to see how the results change and if they approach a more accurate solution as the discretization is increased.