PDE — lost on this separation of variables problem

In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a partial differential equation and seeking help from others. They share their work so far and get guidance on how to properly apply the boundary conditions. Eventually, they figure out their mistake and find the correct solution.
fahraynk
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical math forums >>

I am getting stuck on this partial differential equation.
Ut = Uxx - U + x ; 0<x<1
U(0,t) = 0
U(1,t) = 1
U(x,0) = 0

Here is my work so far :
U = e-tw + x
gives the new eq wt=wxx
to get rid of boundary conditions :
w=x+W
Wt=Wxx
W(0,t) = 0
W(1,t)=0
W(x,0)=-x

W=X(x)T(t)
Plug that in, and I get these :
T'=μT
X''=μx

w = e-(nπ)2t[ansin(nπx)]
an = -2∫xsin(nπx) = 2cos(nπ)/nπ
w = x + W
w = x +(2/π)Σ(1/n)cos(nπ)sin(nπx)e-(nπ)2t
u = e-tw + x
u = x + e-t(x +(2/π)Σ(1/n)cos(nπ)sin(nπx)e-(nπ)2t)

But the books answer is :
u(x,t) = x - (2/π)e-t* [ e2tsin(πx) - (1/2) e-2π2tsin(2πx)+...]

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out the answer. I was not plugging U = we-t+x into the boundary conditions properly. I did not need the extra substitution. Cant find a delete button for the thread though !

Related to PDE — lost on this separation of variables problem

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is commonly used to represent physical processes in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a technique used to solve PDEs by breaking down the problem into simpler, one-dimensional equations. This involves assuming that the solution to the PDE can be written as a product of functions of each independent variable.

3. Why is separation of variables important in solving PDEs?

Separation of variables is important because it allows us to solve complex PDEs by reducing them to simpler, one-dimensional equations. This makes the problem more manageable and easier to solve using techniques such as integration and substitution.

4. What are the steps involved in using separation of variables to solve a PDE?

The steps involved in using separation of variables to solve a PDE are: 1) Write the PDE in its standard form, 2) Assume a solution in the form of a product of functions of each independent variable, 3) Substitute the assumed solution into the PDE, 4) Separate the resulting equation into two equations, one for each variable, 5) Solve each equation separately, and 6) Combine the solutions to get the general solution to the PDE.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables to solve PDEs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using separation of variables to solve PDEs. This method can only be used for linear PDEs with constant coefficients, and it may not always produce a solution that satisfies all boundary conditions. In some cases, other techniques such as the method of characteristics may be more suitable.