Pearls Before Swine comic strip pulled

• News
  • Thread starter mheslep
  • Start date
In summary, Universal Uclick pulled a strip from distribution, without explanation. The strip poked fun at government security and referenced ISIS. Stephan Pastis later tweeted it instead. The ban troubles me. No mention of this in the US press that I can find. Here's hoping for a wave of comics to lampoon Uclick's censorship. Some newspapers prefer not to let politics intrude into the comics page. My "local" daily newspaper moved Doonesbury from the comics page after complaints from some subscribers, and now buries it in the middle of the classified ads or at the end of the sports section. Some newspapers prefer not to let politics intrude into the comics page. My "local" daily newspaper moved Doonesbury from the comics
mheslep
Gold Member
The comic strip Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis has been syndicated since 2002. Recently the syndicator Universal Uclick pulled a strip from distribution, without explanation. The strip poked fun at government security and referenced ISIS. Pastis later tweeted it instead.

Coah21pVIAA9NCW.jpg

The ban troubles me. No mention of this in the US press that I can find. Here's hoping for a wave of comics to lampoon Uclick's censorship.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy, ProfuselyQuarky, 1oldman2 and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Some newspapers prefer not to let politics intrude into the comics page. My "local" daily newspaper moved Doonesbury from the comics page after complaints from some subscribers, and now buries it in the middle of the classified ads or at the end of the sports section.

jtbell said:
Some newspapers prefer not to let politics intrude into the comics page. My "local" daily newspaper moved Doonesbury from the comics page after complaints from some subscribers, and now buries it in the middle of the classified ads or at the end of the sports section.
True, though this particular action was taken by the syndicator, not a particular newspaper. The strip did not move to a different page; a satirical comment on government vanished entirely from every newspaper.

mheslep said:
The ban troubles me.
Yes, me too... that kind of behavior is, well, ... bizarre !

Likes Pepper Mint
The Ministry of Truth acting at its finest.

Kevin McHugh said:
The Ministry of Truth acting at its finest.
Interestingly, in the following strip, Mouse's point of view could be directed at the Ministry of Truth:

idiots.jpg

How do newspapers determine what comic strips are the most popular? They are all on one page, how do you do ratings? Is it all done by complaints?

Micro-cameras embedded into the comics page that detect grin/not-grin and then phone home the results. Or not.

Related to Pearls Before Swine comic strip pulled

1. What is the "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip?

The "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip is a daily syndicated newspaper comic created by Stephan Pastis. It follows the humorous interactions between a group of anthropomorphic animals, primarily a cynical rat and a naïve pig.

2. Why was the comic strip pulled?

The comic strip was pulled due to controversy surrounding a joke about a transgender character. Many readers found the joke to be offensive and transphobic.

3. When was the comic strip pulled?

The comic strip was pulled on August 5th, 2019.

4. Has the comic strip been pulled before?

Yes, this is not the first time the "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip has been pulled. In 2013, a week of strips was pulled due to a joke about the Boston Marathon bombings.

5. Will the comic strip be returning?

It is unclear if the "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip will be returning. The syndicate has stated that they are working with the author to determine the future of the strip. Pastis has also issued an apology for the offensive joke.