Pendulum Impact Force Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses using a pendulum for testing and the need to calculate force values at different angles and weights. However, the formula being used is not producing accurate results and the suggestion is made to use momentum instead to calculate the impact on an object.
mh5594
Hi,

I am performing a set of tests using a pendulum. The test involves a pendulum of length 0.55metres, the weight of the entire pendulum is 2kilos.

The test involves letting the pendulum go from a set height and calculating the force when it impacts an object held in a vice at the bottom of the arc.

Force values need to be calculated for releasing the pendulum at 5 through to 45 degrees in 5 degrees incremements and with the weight of the pendulum changing from 1, 1.5, 2, 3kilos respectively.

I have spent a number of hours trying to work it out however the formula I am using are not producing sensible results. Please could any of you help me with the necessary formula that I will need to perform the calculations.

Cheers,
Michael.

Physics news on Phys.org
mh5594 said:
Hi,

I am performing a set of tests using a pendulum. The test involves a pendulum of length 0.55metres, the weight of the entire pendulum is 2kilos.

The test involves letting the pendulum go from a set height and calculating the force when it impacts an object held in a vice at the bottom of the arc.

Force values need to be calculated for releasing the pendulum at 5 through to 45 degrees in 5 degrees incremements and with the weight of the pendulum changing from 1, 1.5, 2, 3kilos respectively.

I have spent a number of hours trying to work it out however the formula I am using are not producing sensible results. Please could any of you help me with the necessary formula that I will need to perform the calculations.

Cheers,
Michael.

Force is bad choice here, because the force depend on the time the impact takes (which can be very short indeed).

You'd be much better off with momentum; you would want to calculate the momentum of the pendulum, right before the impact, and then apply conservation of momentum, which does give you the subsequent motion of the impacted object (under suitable constraints). If you then really need the force, you can get it from Newtons 2nd Law:

[tex]\vec F=\frac{\Delta \vec p}{\Delta t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta \vec p[/tex] is the change in momentum of one of the bodies.

Last edited:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and the difficulties you are facing with calculating the impact force of your pendulum. I understand the importance of accurate calculations in any experiment and I am happy to assist you with finding the necessary formula.

To calculate the impact force of a pendulum, we can use the equation F = mgh, where F is the force, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2), and h is the height from which the pendulum is released.

In your experiment, the mass of the pendulum (m) is given as 2 kilograms, and the height (h) can be determined by the length of the pendulum (L) and the angle (θ) at which it is released. The formula for calculating h is h = L(1-cosθ).

For example, if the pendulum is released at 5 degrees, h = 0.55m(1-cos5) = 0.027m. Plugging this value into the equation F = mgh, we can calculate the impact force for a pendulum with a mass of 2 kilograms released at 5 degrees.

F = (2kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.027m) = 0.5292N

Similarly, you can calculate the impact force for different angles and pendulum masses using this formula. I suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for mass, length, and force (kilograms, meters, and Newtons respectively).

I hope this helps and wish you success in your experiment.

Best regards,

FAQ: Pendulum Impact Force Calculation

1. How is pendulum impact force calculated?

The pendulum impact force is calculated using the equation: F = mgh, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the pendulum in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the pendulum's swing in meters.

2. What factors affect the impact force of a pendulum?

The impact force of a pendulum is affected by the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the height of the pendulum's swing. These factors can all be adjusted to control the impact force of the pendulum.

3. How does the angle of release affect the impact force of a pendulum?

The angle of release affects the impact force of a pendulum because it determines the potential energy of the pendulum at the point of release. The higher the angle of release, the greater the potential energy and therefore the greater the impact force.

4. What is the relationship between the mass and impact force of a pendulum?

The impact force of a pendulum is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the pendulum increases, the impact force will also increase. This relationship can be seen in the equation F = mgh, where F is directly proportional to m.

5. How can the impact force of a pendulum be used in real-world applications?

The impact force of a pendulum can be used in real-world applications such as crash testing and earthquake engineering. By controlling the variables of a pendulum, scientists can simulate different levels of impact force and study the effects on structures or materials. This information can then be used to improve the safety and durability of various products and structures.