Pendulum with a spring attached

In summary, the problem involves a physical pendulum with a mass of 0.2 kg and a length of 0.2 m, as well as a force constant of 3 N/m. The relevant equations are T = 2π√(m/k) for the period of a physical pendulum and the sum of torque. The attempt at a solution involved using the pythagorean theorem to find the distance the spring was compressed, but this did not yield enough information. The recommended approach is to modify the derivation for the period of a physical pendulum to incorporate the effect of the spring.
physiccool78

Homework Statement

Mass = 0.2 kg
Length of pendulum = 0.2 m
Force constant 3 n/m

Homework Equations

T = 2pi rad(m/k)
Sum of Torque

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused on where to start. I know you simply cannot plug it into the first equation listed above since all the mass isn't concentrated at the tip of the spring. I tried to find the distance the spring was compressed by attempting pythag, but that didn't work since I didn't have enough information. I attached the full question.

Attachments

• 20151214_135009.jpg
    20151214_135009.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Pendulum with a spring attached

What is a pendulum with a spring attached?

A pendulum with a spring attached is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring, which is in turn attached to a pivot point. When the system is displaced from its equilibrium position, the mass will oscillate back and forth due to the restoring force of the spring.

How does a pendulum with a spring attached work?

The motion of a pendulum with a spring attached is governed by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. As the mass moves away from the equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force that pulls it back towards the center, causing it to oscillate.

What factors affect the motion of a pendulum with a spring attached?

The motion of a pendulum with a spring attached is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the length of the pendulum. In addition, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the motion of the pendulum.

What is the period of a pendulum with a spring attached?

The period of a pendulum with a spring attached is the time it takes for the mass to complete one full oscillation. It is dependent on the length of the pendulum and the strength of the spring, and can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

What are the real-world applications of a pendulum with a spring attached?

Pendulums with springs attached have many real-world applications, including in clocks and watches as the swinging motion can be used to measure time. They are also used in seismometers to detect earthquakes and in suspension systems for vehicles to absorb shocks. In addition, they are often used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as simple harmonic motion and energy conservation.