Percentage of a given quantity

• Thread starter Witcher
  • Start date
In summary, the person is doing the division by hand instead of a calculator and is having difficulty getting the correct answer. They write down their work and explain that they are missing a step. Their division is wrong and the first two digits of the quotient are .10 ...84. They add two zeros to Six to get 600 and then realize that 84 goes into 600 seven times. They now have 0.107.
Witcher
Summary:: Working on percent word problem.

I am doing the division by hand instead of a calculator. I can’t get the correct answer.
The question is number 16

here is my work.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Witcher said:
Summary:: Working on percent word problem.

I am doing the division by hand instead of a calculator. I can’t get the correct answer.
The question is number 16

here is my work.
Your division is wrong. The first two digits of the quotient are .10 ...

84 goes into 90 one time.
90-84=6.
I add two zeros on Six making it six hundred.
84 Goes into 600 seven times

what am i doing wrong?
If it is cause i am not using 900 instead of 90.
Why would i us 900 when 90 is large enough?

Witcher said:
This is where you're going wrong.
Yes, you add two zeroes to get 600 - but what should those two zeroes do to the quotient?You could get the right answer by doing even longer division (without skipping the step).

Add one zero.
60 divided by 84 is what?
Write that into the quotient.
Now add another zero.

Likes Witcher
Witcher said:
84 goes into 90 one time.
90-84=6.
84 Goes into 600 seven times

what am i doing wrong?
If it is cause i am not using 900 instead of 90.
Why would i us 900 when 90 is large enough?

You skipped a step. 84 goes into 90 one time like you stated. Then add *one* zero and you will get 60. How many times does 84 go into 60? 84 goes into 60 zero times, so you now have 0.10.

Since you still have more division to do, you *now* bring down the second zero onto the 60 to get 600 and then as you stated above, see that 84 goes into 600 seven times. Now you have 0.107.

You can't just bring down two zeros without doing the division for both and putting something up on top for both.

Likes PeroK
bekkilyn said:
Since you still have more division to do, you *now* bring down the second zero onto the 60 to get 600 and then as you stated above, see that 84 goes into 600 seven times. Now you have 0.107.
Here at PF we try not to give the answers to members, we try to nudge them toward finding the answer themselves. :wink:

Likes Witcher
i appreciate your help. I see that there is a hidden rule when adding two zeros.

Witcher said:
i appreciate your help. I see that there is a hidden rule when adding two zeros.

There's no hidden rule. You always bring down the digits one at a time, whether those digits are zeros are not. You never bring down two or more digits at a time.

Here's a puzzle, if you like. Try dividing ##7## into ##75##. Is the answer the same as problem 16?

Likes DaveC426913 and Witcher
ok i’ll let you know when i got my answer...

Related to Percentage of a given quantity

1. What is the formula for calculating percentage of a given quantity?

The formula for calculating percentage of a given quantity is (Part/Whole) x 100. This means dividing the part by the whole and then multiplying the result by 100 to get the percentage.

2. How do I find the percentage of a number?

To find the percentage of a number, follow the formula (Percentage/100) x Number. This means dividing the percentage by 100 and then multiplying the result by the number to get the percentage of that number.

3. Can the percentage of a given quantity be greater than 100%?

Yes, the percentage of a given quantity can be greater than 100%. This means that the part is larger than the whole, resulting in a percentage greater than 100%. For example, if there are 150 apples in a basket of 100 oranges, the percentage of apples is 150%.

4. How do I convert a decimal into a percentage?

To convert a decimal into a percentage, multiply the decimal by 100. For example, 0.75 can be converted to a percentage by multiplying it by 100, resulting in 75%.

5. Can the percentage of a given quantity be negative?

No, the percentage of a given quantity cannot be negative. A negative percentage would indicate that the part is smaller than the whole, which is not possible. However, if the percentage is used to represent a change or decrease, it can be expressed as a negative number.