Percentage of Energy: Total Internal Reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fraction of light energy that escapes a large and deep lake from a point source of light at a certain depth. The solution involves finding the critical angle and using the concept of solid angle to determine the fraction of light that escapes.
Cesium

Homework Statement

A point source of light is at depth h below the surface of a large and deep lake. Show that the fraction, f, of the light energy that escapes directly form the water surface is independent of h and is given by

[tex]f=0.5(1-\sqrt{1-1/n^2}[/tex])

where n is the index of refraction of the water. Absorption within the water and reflection at the surface (except where it is total) have been neglected.

Homework Equations

n1sin(theta1) = n2sin(theta2)
E=hv?

The Attempt at a Solution

First step would be to find the critical angle:
nsin(theta1)=sin(90) (n2=1 for air)
theta1 = arcsin(1/n)

So anything with an incident angle greater than theta1, will be totally reflected. The problem seems to assume that all of the light with angle less than theta1 will be refracted (even though in reality some will be reflected, too).

So here's where I am going wrong: I tried to assume that all of the light would be equally split up between all angles of radiation. So out of 180 degrees, arcsin(1/n) would escape.
So my fraction and answer would be arcsin(1/n)/180, but that's obviously wrong.

I am having trouble relating energy to this. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to think in 3-dimensions. The light escaping is inside a cone of half angle equal to the critical angle. Therefore the fraction escaping is the solid angle subtended by the cone divided by the total solid angle which in this case is 2π.

Wow, thank you very much. I figured out the problem with the information you gave. I had never even heard of a solid angle before so I had some learning to do.

FAQ: Percentage of Energy: Total Internal Reflection

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling in a dense medium strikes the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. Instead of passing through the boundary, the light ray is completely reflected back into the denser medium.

How is the percentage of energy affected by total internal reflection?

The percentage of energy that is reflected or refracted at the boundary between two mediums depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two mediums. In the case of total internal reflection, 100% of the energy is reflected back into the denser medium, resulting in no energy being transmitted into the less dense medium.

Why is total internal reflection important?

Total internal reflection has a variety of applications in different fields such as optics, telecommunications, and spectroscopy. It is used in devices such as optical fibers, prisms, and mirrors to control the direction and propagation of light. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many biological structures, such as the eyes of some animals.

How is the critical angle related to total internal reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the light ray just begins to undergo total internal reflection. As the angle of incidence increases beyond the critical angle, the percentage of energy reflected also increases until it reaches 100% at the critical angle. Therefore, the critical angle is a key factor in determining whether total internal reflection will occur.

Can total internal reflection occur in all mediums?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium. The refractive index of the denser medium must be greater than the refractive index of the less dense medium for total internal reflection to take place. This is because the critical angle is dependent on the refractive indices of the two mediums.