Percentage of upolarized light

• Thread starter ally1h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the transmission of unpolarized light through a polarizer-analyzer combination with a 30 degree angle between them. The question asks for the percentage of unpolarized light that passes through the combination. Two possible equations for polarized light are mentioned, but the correct answer is not known. The conversation then moves on to discussing the initial intensity and the intensity after the first polarizer.
ally1h

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light is passed through a polarizer-analyzer combination. The transmission of the polarizer and the analyzer are at 30 degrees to each other. What percentage of the unpolarized light gets through the combination?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at a loss at to what to do. The only two equation I can think of, or find, that related to polarized light are the intensity equations: I = 1/2Io and I = Iocos^2(theta).

The answer according to my review packet is 37.5 degrees... I just don't know how to begin in order to get that answer. Will someone give me a few hints? Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with the 1st polarizer. If Io is the initial intensity, what is the intensity after the 1st polarizer?

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some guidance. In this scenario, we are dealing with polarized light, which means the light waves are oscillating in a single plane. The polarizer and analyzer are set at an angle of 30 degrees to each other, which means that the light passing through the polarizer will be partially blocked and only the component of the light oscillating in the same plane as the analyzer will pass through.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for Malus' Law, which relates the intensity of transmitted light to the angle between the polarizer and analyzer. The equation is I = I₀cos²θ, where I₀ is the initial intensity of the unpolarized light and θ is the angle between the polarizer and analyzer.

In this case, θ = 30 degrees, so we can rewrite the equation as I = I₀cos²30. Using a calculator, we find that cos²30 = 3/4. Therefore, the percentage of unpolarized light that gets through the combination is 75% (or 0.75).

To find the percentage of unpolarized light that is blocked, we can subtract this value from 1 (since the total amount of light is 100%). So, the percentage of unpolarized light that is blocked is 25% (or 0.25).

I hope this helps! Remember, as a scientist, it's important to understand the concepts and equations behind a problem, rather than just memorizing numbers or equations. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with solving problems in polarized light.

Related to Percentage of upolarized light

1. What is the definition of percentage of unpolarized light?

The percentage of unpolarized light refers to the amount or proportion of light that is not polarized, meaning that its electric field oscillates in all directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This can be represented by a random distribution of light waves with varying polarization angles.

2. How is the percentage of unpolarized light measured?

The percentage of unpolarized light can be measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that uses polarizing filters to separate polarized and unpolarized light. The intensity of the light passing through the filters is then compared to the total intensity of unpolarized light, and the percentage can be calculated using the formula: (Iunpolarized / Itotal) x 100%.

3. What are some examples of unpolarized light?

Some common sources of unpolarized light include sunlight, incandescent light bulbs, and fluorescent lights. In nature, unpolarized light can also be produced by reflections from non-metallic surfaces, such as water or glass.

4. What is the significance of the percentage of unpolarized light?

The percentage of unpolarized light is important in understanding the behavior of light in various environments and materials. It can also have practical applications in areas such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.

5. How does the percentage of unpolarized light affect polarization experiments?

In polarization experiments, the presence of unpolarized light can interfere with the accuracy of the results, as it can mix with polarized light and affect the overall polarization state. Therefore, it is important to account for the percentage of unpolarized light in order to obtain accurate measurements.