Perihelion Pass Dates for Planets - Alex's JS Orrery

• Thread starter twinsen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about creating a javascript orrery to display the position of planets orbiting the sun. The person is using Kepler's equation and the Newton method to calculate the true anomaly. However, they need to know the time elapsed since perihelion in order to calculate the mean anomaly. They ask for a list of previous perihelion dates and are directed to the HORIZONS system at JPL for ephemeris data. The conversation also briefly mentions the fact that there are now only 8 planets listed on the website.
twinsen
Hey

I am writing a basic javascript orrery which will display the position of the planets orbiting the sun. Using keplers equation I am going to find the true anomaly and the radius at the current time and then plot the points to a 2d grid.

The problem is I need to know the time that has elapsed since perihelion so I can calculate the Mean anomaly. I plan to use the iterative Newton method to get the Eccentric Anaomaly and from that work out the true anomaly.

Do you guys know where I can find a list of previous perihelion dates where the planets were at their closest approach?

Thanks
Alex

Astronomy news on Phys.org
D H said:
The definitive source of ephemeris data is the HORIZONS system at JPL. Website: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons.

It's nice that that site still lists that we have '9 planets'.

rewebster said:
It's nice that that site still lists that we have '9 planets'.

BAH! Semantics !:rolleyes:

Thanks guys

Ill check out the site tommorow looks like ill have to do a bit more in depth reading onto all the different parrameters I've not really covered this stuff in my course yet but so far I see its just basic trig geometry.

Cheers

Alex

Related to Perihelion Pass Dates for Planets - Alex's JS Orrery

1. What is the significance of perihelion pass dates for planets?

Perihelion pass dates refer to the closest point of a planet's orbit to the sun. This is significant because it affects the planet's speed and position in its orbit, as well as the amount of solar radiation it receives.

2. How are perihelion pass dates calculated for planets?

Perihelion pass dates are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the planet's orbital period, eccentricity, and angle of inclination.

3. Are perihelion pass dates the same for all planets?

No, perihelion pass dates vary for each planet depending on its orbital characteristics. For example, Mercury has a much shorter orbital period than Neptune, so its perihelion pass date occurs more frequently.

4. Can perihelion pass dates change over time?

Yes, perihelion pass dates can change due to the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, such as other planets or moons, as well as the changing mass and position of the sun.

5. How is "Alex's JS Orrery" able to accurately calculate perihelion pass dates for planets?

"Alex's JS Orrery" uses real-time data and mathematical equations to accurately simulate the positions and movements of planets in their orbits. This allows for the calculation of perihelion pass dates with a high level of accuracy.

Back