Perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle

In summary, to find the perimeter of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle with a given radius, one can find the intersection of the three perpendicular bisectors of the triangle to locate the center of the circumscribed circle. From there, one can draw a perpendicular from the center to one of the sides of the triangle to form an isoceles triangle and use this information to find the perimeter. Alternatively, one can simply draw a perpendicular from the center to one of the sides to reach the same result.
Fedcer

Homework Statement

Find the Perimeter of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle knowing the radius r.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Browsing the web I found that the intersection of the three perpendicular bisectors of a traingle is the center of it's circumscribed circle. Knowing this I proceeded as following: [img=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2971/problem1bgc6.th.jpg]
I think that what I did is correct. However, since I should've been able to solve it with what I already knew I thought that maybe there is another easier solution.

Thanks.

Attachments

• problem1b.jpg
    problem1b.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 741
Physics news on Phys.org
Triangle AOB is isoceles. Just drawing the perpendicular from O to AB get you to the same position as the result you quote ( in fact it demonstrates it)

I would like to commend your attempt at solving this problem. Your use of the concept of perpendicular bisectors and the center of a circumscribed circle is a valid approach. However, I would like to suggest an alternative method that may be simpler and more intuitive.

First, we know that an equilateral triangle has all three sides equal in length. In this case, the triangle is inscribed in a circle, so each side will be a chord of the circle. We can use the formula for the length of a chord in a circle, which is c = 2r sin(θ/2), where c is the chord length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle of the chord.

Since we know that the central angle of an equilateral triangle is 120 degrees, we can plug this value into the formula and get c = 2r sin(120/2) = 2r sin(60) = 2r √3/2 = r√3. This gives us the length of one side of the triangle.

Since all three sides are equal, the perimeter of the triangle will be 3 times this length, which is 3r√3.

In summary, the perimeter of an equilateral triangle inscribed in a circle with radius r is 3r√3. This approach may be more straightforward and efficient in solving the problem.

FAQ: Perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle

1. What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle is equal to the sum of the lengths of the three sides of the triangle. This can be represented as P = a + b + c, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the triangle's sides.

2. How do you find the lengths of the sides of a triangle inscribed in a circle?

The lengths of the sides of a triangle inscribed in a circle can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. By using this theorem, you can find the lengths of the sides of the triangle by using the radius of the circle and the angles of the triangle.

3. Can the perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle be larger than the circumference of the circle?

No, the perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle cannot be larger than the circumference of the circle. In fact, the perimeter of the triangle will always be equal to the circumference of the circle, as the triangle's sides are tangent to the circle and form the circle's perimeter.

4. How does the size of the triangle affect the perimeter?

The size of the triangle does not affect the perimeter, as long as the triangle is inscribed in the circle. This means that the triangle's sides are always tangent to the circle and will always have the same length, regardless of the triangle's size.

5. Is there a relationship between the perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle and the radius of the circle?

Yes, there is a relationship between the perimeter of a triangle inscribed in a circle and the radius of the circle. The perimeter of the triangle is always equal to the circumference of the circle, which can be calculated using the formula 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle. Therefore, the perimeter of the triangle is directly proportional to the radius of the circle.