Period of A Pendulum With Moveable Mass

In summary, the pendulum of a clock in your grandmother's house has a period of 2.5 seconds if the distance 'd' is such that the mass of the disk is .8*1 + d*1.2 kg. If the pendulum clock loses 5.00 min/d, the disk must be moved in a direction and distance to ensure that the clock will keep perfect time.
Wreak_Peace

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the pendulum of a clock in your grandmother's house. The uniform rod of length L = 2 m has a mass m = 0.8 kg. Attached to the rod is a uniform disk of mass M = 1.2 kg and radius 0.15 m. The clock is constructed to keep perfect time if the period of the pendulum is exactly 3.5 s.

a) What should the distance 'd' be so that the period of the pendulum is 2.5 seconds?

b)Suppose that the pendulum clock loses 5.00 min/d. To make sure your grandmother will not be late for her quilting parties, you decide to adjust the clock back to its proper period. How far and in what direction should you move the disk to ensure that the clock will keep perfect time?

14-p-075.gif

Homework Equations

Parallel Axis Theorem: I = Icm + MR2
I of a rod around it's edge = (ML2)/3
I of a disk = (MR2)/2

Period of a physical pendulum = T = 2∏√(I/Lmg)

The Attempt at a Solution

The I of the entire system should be I= (ML2)/3 + (M(R+d)2)/2
We are solving for d, with T = 2.5 seconds, so we plug this in for our equation for period.

T = 2∏√(I/Lmg)

T = 2∏√(((ML2)/3 + (M(R+d)2)/2)/Lmg)

Where I am stuck, however, is what would I use for 'L' in the denominator of the equation for the period. When I assume it is 2 meters, the length of the entire stick, I get 2.8m for d, which doesn't make sense. mR is the mass of the rod, md is the mass of the disk.

I got that answer by rearranging for d.
I end up with T^2 *L*mg/(4∏2) = I

T^2 *L*mg/(4∏2) =
(mR *L2)/3 + (md (d+r)2/2)

Then, 2(T^2 *L*mg/(4∏2) - (mR *L2)/3)/md = (d+r)2

I plugged in numbers for everything that is given, and end up with 8.565 = (d+.15)2, and by solving that, I get ~2.8m, which would mean the disk is off the rod.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ##L## mean? You cannot just plug random numbers in for it. Find out.

voko said:
What does ##L## mean? You cannot just plug random numbers in for it. Find out.

I assumed L was 2 meters because that was the length of the rod. Is L the distance from the center of mass to the pivot point?

Yes it is. What is it here?

As a general note, do not guess anything. If some symbol in a formula is obscure, find out what it is exactly. These days, with the Internet, Google and Wiki, it is not difficult at all, so you don't have a valid excuse for not doing that.

So, because we don't know how far the disk will be, for calculating the center of mass,
Xm = .8*1 + d*1.2
and I got .3411m, which is also incorrect, though much more reasonable.

I think I was incorrect when stating the I of the disk, I stated the I of a disk around it's center + the M*d^2, due to the parallel axis theorem. The moment of inertia of this disk can be treated as the same as a point mass, so the I of the disk will only be m*d^2, not m*d^2 + m*r^2.

Using that, I got an answer of .359 m, which is also incorrect.

The formula for the center of mass should be ## X_m = \dfrac {m_{rod} L_{rod} / 2 + m_{disk} d} { m_{rod} + m_{disk} } ##. I do not think this is quite what you got.

I do not see your formula for the total moment of inertia, but I disagree with this: "the moment of inertia of this disk can be treated as the same as a point mass".

Show your working in full, it is difficult to help you otherwise.

Related to Period of A Pendulum With Moveable Mass

1. What is a pendulum with moveable mass?

A pendulum with moveable mass is a simple physical system that consists of a mass suspended from a fixed point, which is able to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. The difference between a traditional pendulum and one with moveable mass is that the mass in the latter can be changed or adjusted, allowing for different experimental conditions.

2. How does the period of a pendulum with moveable mass differ from a traditional pendulum?

The period of a pendulum with moveable mass is affected by the position of the mass along the pendulum's length. As the mass is moved closer to the point of suspension, the period decreases, and as it is moved farther away, the period increases. This is in contrast to a traditional pendulum, whose period is only affected by the length of the pendulum.

3. What factors influence the period of a pendulum with moveable mass?

The period of a pendulum with moveable mass is primarily influenced by three factors: the length of the pendulum, the mass of the suspended object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the angle of release and air resistance can also have a small impact on the period.

4. How is the period of a pendulum with moveable mass calculated?

The period of a pendulum with moveable mass can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the angle of release is small (less than 15 degrees) and that air resistance is negligible.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the period of a pendulum with moveable mass?

The period of a pendulum with moveable mass can be used to study and understand various physical phenomena, such as oscillations, resonance, and harmonic motion. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, where pendulums are used to regulate the movement of clocks and other timekeeping devices.