Period of Planets orbiting a Star

In summary: MiaPowIn summary, Planet 1 has a longer orbital period than Planet 2, even though they have the same orbital radius. This can be explained by the fact that Planet 1 has less mass than Planet 2, causing it to have a slower orbital speed. Therefore, it takes longer for Planet 1 to complete one orbit around its star.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

Planet 1 orbits Star 1 and Planet 2 orbits Star 2 in circular orbits of the same radius. However, the orbital period of Planet 1 is longer than the orbital period of Planet 2. What could explain this?

A) Star 1 has less mass than Star2.
B) Star 1 has more mass than Star 2
C) Planet 1 has less mass than Planet 2
D )Planet 1 has more mass than Planet 2.
E) The masses of the planet are much less than the masses of the stars.

Homework Equations

F=(G m1 x m2 ) / (r2)
ac = mv2 / r
(2π x r ) / T = V

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is C.
I used F=(G m1 x m2 ) / (r2) and set it equal to mv2 / r
I didn't see anything related to Period so I remembered that circumference divided by period equals V.
I solved for V in the first equation and got : v = √[(Gm)/r]. Mass is the only variable that could cause the speed and therefore the Period to change. So I thought that increasing the mass of Planet would increase the speed and make the Period longer.
I probably messed up ...

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure the mass in your expression is the planet mass and not the star mass ? In short: sort out which is which in m1, m2 and m and which one divides out !

Likes Soniteflash
BvU said:
You sure the mass in your expression is the planet mass and not the star mass ? In short: sort out which is which in m1, m2 and m and which one divides out !

Ohhhhh, dumb me...
I assigned m1 as the Planet and m2 as the Star.
Since the m in mv2 / r is referring to the orbiting mass, the mass of the planet cancels out and leaves me with the star so it should be B right?

How do you deduce that from your equations ?

I canceled m1 out.

I mean how do you deduce that it's B and not A

So if V increases that means the period would increase. Oh wait. T is in the denominator of 2πr / T.. so that means if I increase V that would mean that Period would go down. I assume that's my mistake. So it has to be that T increases when V decreases meaning that the mass of the star has to be less. So A.

Something like that. If you work out T2 you get something with .../(GM..)

Likes Soniteflash
BvU said:
Something like that. If you work out T2 you get something with .../(GM..)
How would your approach look like? I am wondering how I would arrive at T2

1. F=(G m1 x m2 ) / r2
  2. not ac but Fc= m2v2 / r
  3. (2π x r ) / T = v
3: ##\ \ \displaystyle {1\over T^2} = \left ({v\over 2\pi r} \right )^2\ \ ##. Now equate 1 and 2:
$${v^2\over r} = {Gm_1 \over r^2} \quad \Rightarrow \quad 1/T^2 = \left ({v\over 2\pi r} \right )^2 = {1\over (2\pi)^2} {Gm_1 \over r^3} \quad \Rightarrow \\ T = 2\pi\sqrt {r^3\over Gm_1} $$

as in wikipedia (here you can ignore the planet mass m wrt the M of the star)

Likes Soniteflash
why did this get so complicated... [V][/orb]=√GM/r
And since the problem indicates that r is the same for both systems, it isn't going to affect the speed of the orbital, G is also a constant so it isn't going to affect the system, however, a change in M can affect the speed of the orbital, for example: If you increase M the V orbital is going to speed up, and if you decrease M its going to slow down. Knowing that, we can see that the planet is taking longer to orbit because its slower than the other planet, so V orbital is slower, and since M is the only changing variable, we can see that M for planet 1 is less than planet 2.

Hello MiaPow, :welcome:

Don't hijack another thread -- Start a new thread and state the problem that YOU have when working this out. Where do you get stuck ?

What kind of assistnce can be brought to bear on a question like 'Why did this get so complicated ... ?'
I don't think it's all that complicated at all !

Oh I apologize for my poor wording. I had no problem following through your solution, just an alternative method of answering.

No problem. The OP probably needed some specific guidance and things got intricate before they became (almost) straightforward. Not everyone 'sees through' an exercise straightaway :rolleyes: (not even helpers...)
And, eh: :welcome:

Related to Period of Planets orbiting a Star

1. What is the period of a planet's orbit around a star?

The period of a planet's orbit around a star is the time it takes for the planet to complete one full orbit. This is measured in Earth years, and varies depending on the distance of the planet from the star and the mass of the star.

2. How is the period of a planet's orbit calculated?

The period of a planet's orbit is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. This can be represented mathematically as T^2 = (4π^2/GM) * a^3, where T is the period, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, and a is the semi-major axis of the planet's orbit.

3. How does the period of a planet's orbit affect its climate and habitability?

The period of a planet's orbit can greatly affect its climate and habitability. A shorter period, or closer orbit, can result in a hotter planet with shorter seasons, while a longer period, or farther orbit, can result in a colder planet with longer seasons. This can impact the planet's ability to support life and its overall climate patterns.

4. Can the period of a planet's orbit change over time?

Yes, the period of a planet's orbit can change over time due to various factors. These include the gravitational pull of other nearby planets, interactions with the star's magnetic field, and external influences such as passing comets or other celestial bodies. These changes can be minor or significant, and can impact the stability of a planet's orbit and its overall climate.

5. How does the study of the period of planets orbiting a star help us understand the universe?

Studying the period of planets orbiting a star can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our own solar system and other planetary systems. It can also help us understand the diversity of different types of planets and their potential for habitability. By studying the period of a planet's orbit, we can also gather data on the mass and distance of the star, which can further our understanding of the dynamics of the universe.