Period of Vibration of Torsion Pendulum

In summary, to find the torsion constant (K) given the period (T) and moment of inertia (I), you need to plug in the values of T and I into the formula and solve for K. The answer is K=0.8678. There may have been an error with the calculator used initially.
Felicity Wang

Homework Statement

Given the period (T) and the moment of inertia (I), find the Torsion constant (K)
T= 1.32s
I= 0.0383 kgm^2

Homework Equations

image05.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is K=0.8678, I'm not really sure how to get the answer, but I think it has to do with the units.

Physics news on Phys.org
Felicity Wang said:

Homework Statement

Given the period (T) and the moment of inertia (I), find the Torsion constant (K)
T= 1.32s
I= 0.0383 kgm^2

Homework Equations

image05.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is K=0.8678, I'm not really sure how to get the answer, but I think it has to do with the units.
That's a big equation! :-)

Are you at ease with algebra? You just need to plug in the values of T and I in the formula and then solve for K.

nrqed said:
That's a big equation! :-)

Are you at ease with algebra? You just need to plug in the values of T and I in the formula and then solve for K.
Haha just realized there was an error with my calculator. Thanks!

Related to Period of Vibration of Torsion Pendulum

1. What is a torsion pendulum?

A torsion pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a weight suspended from a wire or rod that is twisted. The twisting motion of the wire or rod allows the pendulum to oscillate back and forth, similar to a regular pendulum.

2. What is the period of vibration of a torsion pendulum?

The period of vibration of a torsion pendulum refers to the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full oscillation or swing back and forth from its starting point. It is measured in seconds.

3. How is the period of vibration of a torsion pendulum calculated?

The period of vibration of a torsion pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/k), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the weight, and k is the torsion constant of the wire or rod.

4. What factors affect the period of vibration of a torsion pendulum?

The period of vibration of a torsion pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the weight, the length and thickness of the wire or rod, and the strength of the gravitational field. Additionally, the amplitude of the pendulum's swing can also affect the period.

5. What is the significance of studying the period of vibration of torsion pendulums?

Studying the period of vibration of torsion pendulums is important in understanding the principles of oscillation and resonance, as well as their applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and seismology. It also allows for the measurement of certain physical constants, such as the torsion constant of a wire or rod.