Periodic heating of a glass of liquid

In summary: For a more general problem, you might need to specify the geometry of the container, the boundary conditions (where the heat is applied, what is the fluid geometry, etc.), and the heat source (a point, a slowly varying function, etc.).
klawlor419
So my question is if I periodically heat some glass of liquid from an arbitrary source, hence providing a driving frequency for the system that will give rise to a phase lag between the temperature of the liquid and the incoming heat from the source, how can I show that there will be a possible range of phase lags between 0 and Pi/2? How can I get a plot of phase lag vs. frequency? I have an idea about how it will look, but I'm not sure how to get there.

Science news on Phys.org
phase lags in heating of liquid

So my question is if I periodically heat some glass of liquid from an arbitrary source, hence providing a driving frequency for the system that will give rise to a phase lag between the temperature of the liquid and the incoming heat from the source, how can I show that there will be a possible range of phase lags between 0 and Pi/2? How can I get a plot of phase lag vs. frequency? I have an idea about how it will look, but I'm not sure how to get there.

I posted earlier in general physics but thought maybe this questions more suited towards classical.

Heat transfer follows the diffusion equation, not the wave equation. Why would the liquid temperature keep increasing after you remove the heat source? (Ignoring spatial variation.)

"Heat transfer follows the diffusion equation, not the wave equation. Why would the liquid temperature keep increasing after you remove the heat source? (Ignoring spatial variation.)"

Mapes thanks for the response. I'm not sure if this is correct, but just as you remove a driving force from a person pushing a swing and it takes time for that system to return to equilibrium so too does the glass of water. Dissipative forces due to maybe the specific heat of material are present. Let me know what you think

klawlor419 said:

What are the boundary conditions? (that is, where is the heat applied, what is the fluid geometry, etc.). Mikhailov and Ozisik's "Unified analysis of heat and mass diffusion" (Dover) provides an exhaustive analysis of problems like this.

I'm really just aiming to understand the simplest situation. Let's say that the heat is applied uniformly to the glass from all directions. What do you mean by fluid geometry?

You need to define what your input and output are. For example, you might have a bottom plate temperature U and a thermister temperature V taken near the top of the liquid.

Now assuming you can achieve some sort of "quasi steady state" oscillation in V, you can plot the (sinusoidal) record of V against the signal U and look at the constant phase lag. You can repeat this for a set of frequencies. If you are more interested in the step response instead of the response to periodic heating, you might try measuring for bursts and approximate the Laplace transform.

Since this is a glass of liquid, I don't think you can easily derive an solution for all (or even many) frequencies from first principles.

klawlor419 said:

I posted earlier in general physics but thought maybe this questions more suited towards classical.

Please do not multiple post here. It is against the PF rules.

I've merged your two threads into one.

klawlor419 said:
I'm really just aiming to understand the simplest situation. Let's say that the heat is applied uniformly to the glass from all directions. What do you mean by fluid geometry?

The geometry of the problem is needed to specify the boundary conditions. If you have a closed spherical container of fluid, apply a constant flux of heat over the entire boundary and neglect bouyancy (so the fluid doesn't flow and advect heat), and measure the temperature at a single fixed point at the center of the sphere, IIRC the temperature will follow a sigmoid-type curve with the final temperature reached when the heat flux in is equal to the heat flux out.

Related to Periodic heating of a glass of liquid

1. What is periodic heating of a glass of liquid?

Periodic heating of a glass of liquid is a process in which the temperature of a liquid is intentionally raised and lowered in a repeated cycle. This can be done for various reasons, such as to mix ingredients, dissolve substances, or change the physical properties of the liquid.

2. What happens to the liquid during periodic heating?

During periodic heating, the molecules of the liquid gain energy and move faster, causing the liquid to expand and rise in temperature. As the liquid cools down, the molecules slow down and the liquid contracts, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

3. How does periodic heating affect the properties of the liquid?

Periodic heating can change the physical properties of a liquid, such as its viscosity, density, and solubility. It can also affect the chemical properties of a liquid, such as its ability to undergo a chemical reaction or its pH level.

4. What are some common methods of periodic heating a glass of liquid?

Some common methods of periodic heating a glass of liquid include using a hot plate or stove, heating the liquid in a microwave, or using a Bunsen burner. Other methods may include placing the glass of liquid in a water bath or using a heating mantle.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing periodic heating of a glass of liquid?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when performing periodic heating of a glass of liquid. These may include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, using proper heating equipment, and being cautious when handling hot liquids. It is also important to follow the instructions for any heating method being used.