Periods of Powers of Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the period of a function containing sines and cosines with exponents. The participants suggest using trigonometric identities and graphing to find a general method for finding periods of arbitrary sums.
Shaggy16

Homework Statement

Is there a way to determine the period of a function like f(x) = a*sin(b*x)^2 + c*cos(d*x)^2 + e*sin(f*x) + g*cos(h*x)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the periods of sines, cosines, and arbitrary sums of the two, but the introduction of exponents has me at a complete loss. Please don't show me how; just point me in the general direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I only have a basic knowledge of trigonometric functions, but without any other indicator of how to approach this I'd put in arbitrary values for the constants a, b, c, d, e, f, g, and h, graph the function, and it seems like you'd be able to derive a method of finding arbitrary periodic sums. Just a thought..

Use trig identities for sin2 x and cos2 x.

I forgot all about the half-angle identities... Thank you

FAQ: Periods of Powers of Trigonometric Functions

1. What are the periods of sine and cosine functions?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle of the function. For the sine and cosine functions, the period is 2π or 360 degrees. This means that the function repeats itself after every 2π or 360 degrees.

2. How do we find the period of tangent and cotangent functions?

The period of tangent and cotangent functions is π or 180 degrees. This is because these functions have a repeating pattern every π or 180 degrees. Unlike sine and cosine, tangent and cotangent do not have a defined period of 2π.

3. Do the periods of trigonometric functions change with different amplitude and phase shift values?

No, the period of a trigonometric function remains the same regardless of the amplitude or phase shift values. These values only affect the shape and position of the function, but not its period.

4. How do we determine the period of inverse trigonometric functions?

The period of inverse trigonometric functions can be determined by looking at the corresponding trigonometric function. For example, the period of inverse sine (arcsine) is the same as the period of sine, which is 2π or 360 degrees.

5. Can the period of a trigonometric function be negative?

No, the period of a trigonometric function can never be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the length of one complete cycle of the function.