Permutations: Explaining & Finding A, A^-1 & 2 Examples of σ

• Thread starter katesmith410
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary, a permutation of n = {1, 2, ... , n} means rearranging the elements of n in a specific order. The given permutation A can be written in disjoint cycle notation as (1 3 5)(2)(4). The inverse of A, A^-1, can be written as (1 5 3)(2)(4). Two examples of permutations σ of 5 that satisfy σ = σ^-1 and have different cycle structures are σ = (1 2) and σ = (1 2 3 4). It can be concluded that for a transposition permutation, σ = σ^-1.
katesmith410
Let n ∈ N. Explain what is meant by saying that π is a permutation of n = {1, 2, . . . , n}.
The permutation A is given below in two line notation. Write A in disjoint cycle notation.

1 2 3 4 5
3 5 1 2 4

Find A^-1, writing your answer in disjoint cycle notation. Give two examples of permutations σ of 5 which satisfy σ = σ^-1 but which have different cycle structure.

I am able to write A in disjoint cycle notation and find the inverse. However I am having problems with the final part. Would it make sense for σ to be the identity permutation since
1->1, 2->2, 3->3 etc. Unsure of another example though, any guidance towards an answer would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi katesmith! :smile:

The identity permutation is good here! Let's find another one. Let's assume for simplicity that the disjoint cycle notation of sigma has only one nontrivial cycle. For example,

[tex]\sigma=(1~2)~\text{or}~\sigma=(1~2~3~4)[/tex]

For which such permutations does it holds that [itex]\sigma=\sigma^{-1}[/itex]??

Hi :)

Is it right to say that for your given example that,

σ=(12)=σ^-1

When σ=(1234), I know that σ^-1=(1432). But I am unsure what permutation holds for σ=σ^-1.

So, you've figured out that [itex]\sigma^{-1}=\sigma[/itex]for transpositions (1 2). Does it hold for every transposition? Can you use that information?

Surely it can't hold for every transposition, as in the case for the transposition σ=(1234), σ≠σ^-1?

katesmith410 said:
Surely it can't hold for every transposition, as in the case for the transposition σ=(1234), σ≠σ^-1?

A transposition is something that just exchanges two elements. So (1 2) and (2 3) are transpositions, but (1 2 3 4) is not. I should have said that...

Oh right, I think i understand now! So am I right in saying then that for every transposition σ=σ^-1?
So for my question, σ=(13)(254) but can i also say that σ=(13)(25)(54)(42)? Therefore σ would be equal to its inverse?

FAQ: Permutations: Explaining & Finding A, A^-1 & 2 Examples of σ

What are permutations?

Permutations are a mathematical concept that refers to the arrangement of a set of elements in a specific order.

How do you explain permutations?

Permutations can be explained as a way to determine the number of possible arrangements of a set of elements without repetition and with a specific order.

What is the significance of A, A^-1 and σ in permutations?

A represents the original set of elements, A^-1 represents the inverse of A, and σ represents a specific permutation of A. These elements are important in determining the number of possible arrangements of the set.

How do you find A, A^-1 and σ in permutations?

To find A, A^-1, and σ, you can use mathematical formulas and algorithms. For example, A can be determined by listing out all the elements in the set, A^-1 can be found by using the inverse operation on A, and σ can be calculated using specific permutation equations.

Can you provide examples of permutations?

Yes, for example, if we have a set of three letters (A, B, C), the permutations of this set would be ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA. Another example would be the permutations of the numbers 1, 2, and 3, which would include 123, 132, 213, 231, 312, and 321.