Perpendicular distance problem

In summary, the problem is asking to show that the product of the perpendicular distances from the points (√5, 0) and (-√5, 0) on the line 2xcosα-3ysinα=6 is independent of α. The equation of perpendicular distance is given by Ax1+By1 + C/ (A^2 +B^2)^1/2, where the entire formula is within absolute value signs. The coefficients 2 and 3 can be eliminated using the trig identity sin2α + cos2α=1, and the common factor can be eliminated to obtain the desired result.
Dumbledore211

Homework Statement

Show that the product of the perpendicular distance problems drawn from the points (√5, 0) and (-√5, 0) on the line 2xcosα-3ysinα=6 is independent of α

Homework Equations

Eqn of perpendicular distance Ax1+By1 + C/ (A^2 +B^2)^1/2 The whole formula will be within the absolute value sign. Sorry, I don't have the toolkit to use that sign at present

The Attempt at a Solution

One question is when we multiply two quantities having absolute value signs doesn't it become a whole square?? Anyway, how can I eliminate the coefficients like 2 and 3 within the square root thing so that we can rewrite the denominator expression as sin^2α + cos^2α=1. Do I use trig identities to get rid of α in the final expression

Physics news on Phys.org
Dumbledore211 said:
One question is when we multiply two quantities having absolute value signs doesn't it become a whole square?? Anyway, how can I eliminate the coefficients like 2 and 3 within the square root thing so that we can rewrite the denominator expression as sin^2α + cos^2α=1. Do I use trig identities to get rid of α in the final expression

Do not think too far ahead .Why do you need to eliminate 2 and 3 ? Using the identity sin2α + cos2α=1 , eliminate sin2α from denominator .You will find something common in Nr as well as Dr .Eliminating the common factor will give you the desired result .

Likes 1 person
Dumbledore211 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the product of the perpendicular distance problems drawn from the points (√5, 0) and (-√5, 0) on the line 2xcosα-3ysinα=6 is independent of α

Homework Equations

Eqn of perpendicular distance Ax1+By1 + C/ (A^2 +B^2)^1/2 The whole formula will be within the absolute value sign. Sorry, I don't have the toolkit to use that sign at present
There's no toolkit - on a computer keyboard there is a | key above the backslash key. If you're doing this on a phone then you're handicapping yourself, IMO.

In any case, your expression (it's not an equation) for the perp. distance needs some grouping symbol for the numerator. Otherwise, here's what you wrote:
$$Ax1+By1 + \frac{C}{\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}}$$
Dumbledore211 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

One question is when we multiply two quantities having absolute value signs doesn't it become a whole square??
Not in general.
|a||b| ≠ ab, if that's what you're asking.
Dumbledore211 said:
Anyway, how can I eliminate the coefficients like 2 and 3 within the square root thing so that we can rewrite the denominator expression as sin^2α + cos^2α=1. Do I use trig identities to get rid of α in the final expression

FAQ: Perpendicular distance problem

1. What is the perpendicular distance problem?

The perpendicular distance problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest distance between a point and a line. This distance is measured along a line that is perpendicular to the given line.

2. How do you find the perpendicular distance between a point and a line?

To find the perpendicular distance between a point and a line, you can use the formula d = |Ax + By + C| / √(A^2 + B^2), where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the line's equation and x and y are the coordinates of the given point.

3. What is the significance of the perpendicular distance problem?

The perpendicular distance problem is important in many fields, including geometry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the shortest distance between a point and a line, which is useful in optimizing designs and solving real-world problems.

4. Can the perpendicular distance be negative?

No, the perpendicular distance cannot be negative. It represents the shortest distance between a point and a line, so it is always a positive value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the perpendicular distance problem?

Yes, the perpendicular distance problem has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used to determine the minimum distance between a building and a power line, or the shortest distance between a car and a pedestrian. It is also used in navigation and robotics to find the shortest path between two points.

Back