Personal Statement Undergraduate

In summary, the student is struggling to express their love for physics and mathematics in their personal statement for university applications. They enjoy the challenges and the insight into the workings of the universe that these subjects offer. They are particularly intrigued by the mysteries and unknowns in physics, as well as the elegance and beauty in mathematics. They are also inspired by the application of mathematics to real-life problems and the idea that it underpins every aspect of the universe. The student hopes to work on a unified field theory in the future. Despite initially struggling, the student has managed to complete their personal statement and is satisfied with the result.
Maddie1609
I'm applying for joint honor course in Mathematics and Physics and single honor course in Theoretical Physics at universities in the UK. I am struggling with putting into words what I enjoy about physics and mathematics in my personal statement. I have the other paragraphs in place (I think), it's just difficult explaining what areas I enjoy and why I enjoy them. If someone could please help me form these bulletpoints into cohesive sentences I would very very very much appreciate it:nb)

• I like the challenges they offer
  • Physics gives me insight into the workings of our universe
  • I like the 'mystery' and 'unknown' (the idea of working to solve things we don't yet know)
  • I am intrigued by quantum mechanics in particular
  • I want to work on a unified field theory in the future
  • I love the elegance and beauty in mathematics (simple proofs)
  • It's inspiring how mathematics is built up of axioms and postulates
  • How we can use mathematics to solve real life problems
  • Fascinating how mathematics seemingly underpins every aspect of the universe
I just can't seem to get a good flow or a nice transition between the to subjects. I would be forever indebted if someone would write 1-2 paragraphs for me as to get at least an idea of what I can write:smile:

EDIT: I dit it! Something just clicked and I managed to finish my personal statemenet, and I am very pleased with it if I might say so myself:biggrin::-p

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Maddie1609

FAQ: Personal Statement Undergraduate

1. What is a personal statement for undergraduate admissions?

A personal statement for undergraduate admissions is a written essay or statement that accompanies a college or university application. It allows applicants to showcase their personal qualities, experiences, and goals to the admissions committee, and helps them stand out from other applicants.

2. How long should a personal statement for undergraduate admissions be?

The length of a personal statement for undergraduate admissions can vary, but it is typically around 500-700 words. It is important to follow any specific guidelines provided by the institution or program you are applying to, as some may have a specific word or page limit.

3. What should I include in my personal statement for undergraduate admissions?

Your personal statement should include information about your academic and personal background, your motivation for pursuing a degree in your chosen field, any relevant experiences or achievements, and your future goals. It is also a good idea to highlight any unique qualities or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the program.

4. Can I use the same personal statement for multiple undergraduate programs?

While it may be tempting to use the same personal statement for multiple undergraduate programs, it is not recommended. Each program or institution may have different requirements or prompts for their personal statement, and using the same statement may not accurately address all of these. It is best to tailor your personal statement to each program you are applying to.

5. How important is the personal statement in the undergraduate admissions process?

The personal statement is an important aspect of the undergraduate admissions process, as it allows admissions committees to get a better understanding of who you are as a person and as a potential student. While it is not the only factor considered in admissions decisions, a strong personal statement can help set you apart from other applicants and increase your chances of being accepted into the program.