Perturbation Theory, exchange operator

In summary, the conversation covers finding eigenvalues of X and showing its general relation and commutativity with KE (part a), determining the conditions under which X will commute with V1, V2, and VI (part b), writing symmetric and antisymmetric wavefunctions for two particles and finding energies JD and JE (part c), and discussing the relationship between unperturbed and perturbed energy levels (part d). There is some confusion about the values of J_D and J_E and how to overlap the symmetric wavefunction.
unscientific

Homework Statement

f3wbo4.png

Part (a): Find eigenvalues of X, show general relation of X and show X commutes with KE.
Part (b): Give conditions on V1, V2 and VI for X to commute with them.
Part (c): Write symmetric and antisymmetric wavefunctions. Find energies JD and JE.
Part (d): How are unperturbed and perturbed energy levels related?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
The eigenvalues I found are ##\pm 1##, which seems right.

No problem with this showing X commutes with K too.

Part(b)
I'm thinking X will commute with ##x^2##, so this means that V1 and V2 must be functions of ##x^2##.
As for VI, I'm not sure.

Part (c)

For two particles A and B,
Symmetric wavefunction is:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \left(|u,A>|v,B> + |v,A>|u,B>\right)[/tex]

Anti-Symmetric wavefunction is:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \left( |u,A>|v,B> - |v,A>|u,B>\right)[/tex]

I'm not sure what ##J_D## and ##J_E## are. I'm guessing ##J_E## is the first order perturbed energy ##<E|V_I|E>##?

Part (d)

The delta function means that ##x_1 = x_2##, so the perturbed energy levels is the same as unperturbed? Not sure why either.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing ##J_D## is the interaction energy, ##J_E## is the first order perturbed energy. So this perturbation "lifts" the degeneracy.

Isn't ##J_D = V_{|x_1-x_2|}## while ##J_E = <s+|V_I|s+>## where ##|s+>## is the symmetric wavefunction?

How do I overlap this symmetric wavefunction: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \left(|u,A>|v,B> + |v,A>|u,B>\right)##?
Since ##u_{(x)}## and ##v_{(x)}## are orthonormal states, can I assume ##<u,A|v,A> = <u,B|v,B> = 0##?

Therefore ##\langle\psi_s|\psi_s\rangle = \frac{1}{2}\int \langle u,A|u,A\rangle\langle v,B|v,B\rangle + \langle v,A|v,A\rangle\langle u,B|u,B\rangle d^3r = \int 2|u|^2|v|^2 d^3r##?

Last edited:
bumpp

Related to Perturbation Theory, exchange operator

1. What is Perturbation Theory and how does it work?

Perturbation Theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to complex problems in physics and mathematics. It involves breaking down a problem into a simpler form and then adding small corrections to the solution to improve its accuracy.

2. What is the exchange operator in Perturbation Theory?

The exchange operator in Perturbation Theory is a mathematical operator used to describe the behavior of identical particles in quantum mechanics. It represents the swapping of two particles in a system and is essential in understanding the properties of many-particle systems.

3. How is the exchange operator related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical particles can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The exchange operator plays a crucial role in enforcing this principle by describing the behavior of identical particles and their interactions in a system.

4. What is the significance of the exchange operator in chemistry?

In chemistry, the exchange operator is used to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. It helps to explain the stability and reactivity of chemical compounds and plays a critical role in predicting the properties of materials at the atomic level.

5. Can the exchange operator be applied to systems with more than two particles?

Yes, the exchange operator can be generalized to systems with more than two particles. In many-particle systems, the exchange operator describes the behavior of multiple identical particles and their interactions, allowing us to understand complex physical phenomena such as superconductivity and magnetism.