Perturbation theory in qm self study

In summary, the speaker is currently self-studying quantum mechanics and is wondering whether to continue with applications or focus on strengthening their basics from another book. The recommendation is to go through the entire book once before delving deeper into any specific topic, as this will provide a broader understanding and make it easier to understand future textbooks.
Ahmad Kishki
i am currently self studying qm, and i am trying to plan ahead since i am relatively over with griffiths part1 (which is the theory part) and i was wondering if i should go ahead to part 2 (applications) or should i just keep this for later and attempt to stregnthen my basics in qm from another book like Shankar for example. So what do you recommend? Go ahead with applications, strengthen basics, or sth else of your recommendation? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no best answer to that question. I would suggest going through the entire book once, before going deeper in any topic. I think you will learn more be knowing first a little about many aspects, and then move up in level for the next textbook, where you will encounter many of the topics again, but will get a better understanding because of your broader knowledge.

Related to Perturbation theory in qm self study

1. What is perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool used to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system when a small perturbation, or disturbance, is applied to it. It allows for the analysis of systems that are too complex to be solved exactly, and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by breaking down a complex system into a simpler, known system and then introducing a perturbation term to account for the added complexity. This perturbation term is typically small and can be treated as a small correction to the known system. The resulting equations can then be solved to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of the perturbed system.

3. What are the limitations of perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory is only applicable to systems with small perturbations. If the perturbation term becomes too large, the approximations made by perturbation theory may no longer be accurate. Additionally, perturbation theory assumes that the perturbation is time-independent, meaning it does not change over time. This restricts its applicability to systems with slowly varying perturbations.

4. How is perturbation theory used in self-study of quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory is often used in self-study of quantum mechanics as a way to understand and analyze more complex systems. By using perturbation theory, students can gain an intuitive understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules, and can also apply their knowledge to solve more challenging problems and equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory has many applications in physics and chemistry, particularly in the study of atoms, molecules, and solids. It is used to explain phenomena such as the fine structure of atomic spectra, the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice, and the interactions between molecules in a chemical reaction. It is also used in the development of technologies such as lasers and transistors.