PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections (Jan 17 - Jan 24)

In summary, to enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections, you must submit your photo on the designated social media platform using the designated hashtag. The theme for this week's contest is "Nature's Beauty" and you can submit multiple photos. The winners are chosen by a panel of judges based on quality and creativity, and prizes vary each week. Make sure to carefully read the contest rules and guidelines before submitting your entry.
Andre
PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections (Jan 17 - Jan 24)

"Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting."

-- Ernest Rutherford

Please show us your nicest pictures of a collection.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping, of course you could not only collect stamps but also gitars or coins or statuettes of roosters or models of extinct animals, anything. Maybe physicians are not collectors?

Some of my old Warsaw postcards. At least three of those visible are over 100 years old, but most are from interwar period.

marcin_collection.jpg

jordan008.jpg

My collection of Majolica plates, sparking lamps and toys.

I just know more people here collect stuff. Let's see it!

Since there are only two entries so far, here is another. I hesitate to call it a "collection" since it is the remnants of a collection that at one time held over 20 guitars. Since I had to stop performing in public, I started selling off guitars, and only kept the best of the best. The dread' at the left is a hand-made example in mahogany and spruce by Augostino Lo Prinzi, the parlor guitar in rosewood and cedar is by Taylor. The Yamaha SA800 and the Traditions strat clone are the best-sounding examples of hollow-body humbucker and solid-body single-coil I had at the time that I started selling off. I had a '59 Strat once, and sold it off in a disastrous deal for a '60's Les Paul Custom. What a fool! Anyway, here are the "remainders" of what could have been the core stock of a high-end music store. Funny! I sold off my Fenders and Gibsons without hesitation, but the Yamaha and Traditions "mutts" had to stay with me. I have heavily modified their electronics and set them up for my style of playing (heavy strings, slightly high action for cleaner tone...) so they wouldn't appeal to many guitarists these days, who think light "slinky" strings and low action are great. When you try to replicate early rockabilly, blues, etc, why not use heavy strings and higher actions, like those musicians did?

collection_cont.jpg

As an aside, when I tried the Augostino back in the mid-70's, it was priced at $600. I saved for weeks, sold some other stuff and went back to the store for it, only to be told that they had returned it in exchange for one of Augie's classical guitars. I was pretty ticked, until the repair-guy hollered out "UPS hasn't been here yet. The guitar is still here." I stripped $100 off my roll and gave the rest to the manager and said "Here's 5. Write up a receipt." It worked.

A few weeks later, I went to a popular night-spot for folk and blues to audition for weekend spots, and a couple of friends were playing there. I auditioned during their break and they both asked me to stay for the next set so they could try out my guitar. They swapped it back and forth all set, and when their next break came, they bought me Guinesses and tried to talk me into swapping my guitar for either of theirs. Dave (guy with a national recording contract and a hit on the folk charts) had a Martin D35, and Don (popular local guy) had a Martin D28. Both were very nice guitars, but they didn't have the richness or presence of the Augostino, though their book values were several times that of my guitar. Like most hand-made guitars, it has only gotten sweeter over the years.

Hope voting hasn't started yet. Here is a small collection left over from childhood. Starting from top left are Polish Zlotys. Borek might be familiar. The right most blue is Czeck Coron, and 10 German Marks. The vertical person is 100 Franks which was given to me by my great uncle.

I'm missing 1000 Polish Zlotys with Nicolas Copernicus on it, and one with Marie Curie forgot how much was it.

I was also trying find a Serb currency with Tesla on it but was never successful.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8683/51388342.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your collection What. :smile:

None of those Polish banknotes are currently in use, they were phased out with denomination in 1995. Old 100 zł is now 0.01 PLN.

Man on the 100 zł banknote is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwik_Waryński. Somewhere in late seventies price of half litre bottle of Polish vodka was about 100 zł. At some moment law was changed and to buy a bottle of vodka you had to pay 3 zł more - that was just for bottle (you could get the money back returning the bottle). Common joke in Poland at the time was "Why is Waryński so sad on his banknote?" - "He is three złote short of his vodka".

Marzena said:
I like your collection What. :smile:

Thank you Marzena.

Borek said:
None of those Polish banknotes are currently in use, they were phased out with denomination in 1995. Old 100 zł is now 0.01 PLN.

That's the time when I got most of the Polish collection. I had 10 Zloty much earlier than that, and was so fascinated by its design I wanted all Polish banknotes. Some of them you could classify on a decibel scale (like pH) 10, 1000, 10,000 until you get to one million Zloty. The highest one I had was 20,000 Zloty with Marie Curie on it. I liked it so much.

I did manage to acquire some of the post '95 banknotes, but don't know where they are, along with so many other banknotes. I still have some Grosze that are silver and have some gold in the center or vice-versa. And a Pilsudski 50,000 Zloty coin that is the pic as well.

"Why is Waryński so sad on his banknote?" - "He is three złote short of his vodka".

:smile:

There is always a cool story about everything in Poland.

It's good to look at them again. I had Copernicus, Chopin, and a 10,000 bill but don't know who Wyspanski was. I think he was a writer or a painter.

Didn't know there was a 2 million bill. But I know that Paderewski who is on it was a grandmaster pianist and at 80 he played Chopin as if he was 20 years old.

waht said:
don't know who Wyspanski was. I think he was a writer or a painter.

Both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanisław_Wyspiański

Didn't know there was a 2 million bill.

Actually neither me nor Marzena remeber using banknotes over 200,000 zł. No idea what it means.

Borek said:
Actually neither me nor Marzena remeber using banknotes over 200,000 zł. No idea what it means.

I remember seeing 1 million Zloty bill. But it was expensive because its actual value was a few hundred dollars US. So it was out of my league when I was 10 years old. As far as I know, it was in circulation when people could still exchange old zlote to new zlote back in '95.

When is this contest over? The thread title still says Jan 24, but no poll yet. :confused:

I'm afraid I have nothing to enter in this contest. I don't collect anything.

We had only 2 entries in the first week, so I extended it another week. Poll is coming up shortly

FAQ: PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections (Jan 17 - Jan 24)

1. How do I enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections?

To enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections, you must submit your photo on the designated social media platform using the designated hashtag. Make sure to read the contest rules and guidelines carefully before submitting your entry.

2. What is the theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections?

The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections is "Nature's Beauty". We are looking for photos that showcase the beauty of nature, from landscapes to wildlife to plants and everything in between.

3. Can I submit more than one photo to the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections. However, please note that each person is only eligible to win one prize per week, regardless of the number of entries submitted.

4. How are the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections chosen?

The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections are chosen by a panel of judges based on the quality, creativity, and adherence to the theme of the submitted photos. The judges' decision is final and cannot be contested.

5. What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections?

The prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST Collections vary each week and may include cash prizes, photography equipment, or other products related to photography. Please refer to the contest rules and guidelines for the specific prizes for each week's contest.