Pf = Pi * (Vi/Vf)^5/3 (since gamma = 5/3 for a monatomic gas)

• Thread starter 125.6
  • Start date
In summary: Pi * (Vi/Vf)^(5/3) = 1 * (8)^(5/3) = 25 = 32 atm, where gamma = 5/3 for an ideal monatomic gas. This follows from the adiabatic process equation, P*V^gamma = constant.
One mole of an ideal monatomic gas, initially at 1 atm pressure, is surrounded by adiabatic walls in a container of volume 0.01 m3 . The gas is compressed until the volume is 1/8 of the original volume. Calculate the final pressure and temperature.

^^ I'm having problems following this question. Its only a short answer, but I'm confused none the less!

A: pV^5/3 = constant.
pf = pi(Vi/Vf )^5/3 = 1(8)^5/3 = 25 = 32 atm.
Tf = pfVf /nR = 32 × (0.01/8)101325/8.314 = 487.5 K

I understand the last line in normal ideal gas equation, but the first two lines, which reference the equation: pV^5/3 = constant has thrown me, i don't know how the second line follows (where does pf=pi*(vi/vf)^5/3 come from? i see its similar to the constant equation

Physics news on Phys.org
125.6 said:
One mole of an ideal monatomic gas, initially at 1 atm pressure, is surrounded by adiabatic walls in a container of volume 0.01 m3 . The gas is compressed until the volume is 1/8 of the original volume. Calculate the final pressure and temperature.

^^ I'm having problems following this question. Its only a short answer, but I'm confused none the less!

A: pV^5/3 = constant.
pf = pi(Vi/Vf )^5/3 = 1(8)^5/3 = 25 = 32 atm.
Tf = pfVf /nR = 32 × (0.01/8)101325/8.314 = 487.5 K

I understand the last line in normal ideal gas equation, but the first two lines, which reference the equation: pV^5/3 = constant has thrown me, i don't know how the second line follows (where does pf=pi*(vi/vf)^5/3 come from? i see its similar to the constant equation

For adiabatic processes (no heat exchanged withthe surroundings) in ideal gases, P*V^gamma = constant. Gamma is the ratio of the heat capacities at constant pressure and constant volume. For an ideal monatomic gas, C_v = 3/2 * R, and C_p = 5/2* R, so gamma = (5/2 * R) / (3/2 * R) = 5/3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process

Quantum Defect said:
For adiabatic processes (no heat exchanged withthe surroundings) in ideal gases, P*V^gamma = constant. Gamma is the ratio of the heat capacities at constant pressure and constant volume. For an ideal monatomic gas, C_v = 3/2 * R, and C_p = 5/2* R, so gamma = (5/2 * R) / (3/2 * R) = 5/3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process

Yeah, thanks

The part i still don't understand is how the equation pf = pi*(vi/vf)^5/3 follow?

125.6 said:
Yeah, thanks

The part i still don't understand is how the equation pf = pi*(vi/vf)^5/3 follow?
Pf * Vf^gamma = constant = Pi * Vi^gamma
Pf = Pi * (Vi/Vf)^gamma

FAQ: Pf = Pi * (Vi/Vf)^5/3 (since gamma = 5/3 for a monatomic gas)

1. How do you use the equation pV^gamma = c in scientific research?

The equation pV^gamma = c is known as the adiabatic equation and is commonly used in thermodynamics to describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas. It is often used in scientific research to determine the behavior of gases under changing conditions.

2. What is the significance of the gamma value in the pV^gamma = c equation?

The gamma value represents the adiabatic index or ratio of specific heats in a gas. It is a measure of the gas's ability to do work and is used to calculate the change in temperature when pressure or volume is altered.

3. Can pV^gamma = c be used for all gases?

No, the adiabatic equation is only applicable to ideal gases, which follow the ideal gas law. Real gases may deviate from this behavior, especially at high pressures or low temperatures.

4. How does the pV^gamma = c equation relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The adiabatic equation is a manifestation of the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In this equation, the change in internal energy (c) is equal to the work done (pV^gamma).

5. What are some practical applications of using pV^gamma = c?

The adiabatic equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, turbines, and compressors. It is also used in meteorology to understand the behavior of air masses and in the study of sound waves in gases.

Back