PH for this Weak Acid-Strong Base titration.

In summary, titration is a process used to determine the concentration of an acid or base in a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another acid or base. In a weak acid-strong base titration, the strong base is slowly added to the solution until the equivalence point is reached, allowing for the determination of the pH at which the weak acid is neutralized. During this titration, the pH initially decreases as the strong base is added, but rapidly increases after the equivalence point and remains constant. The equivalence point is the point at which the moles of the strong base added is equal to the moles of the weak acid initially present in the solution. The strength of the acid and base will affect the shape of the titration
Ace.
[itex]\:[/itex]

Homework Statement

What is the pH when 10 ml of 0.1 M [itex]NaOH[/itex] is added to 25 ml of 0.1 M [itex]H_{}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

pH = -log[[itex]H_{3}O[/itex]]

The Attempt at a Solution

The main thing confusing me about this type of problem is that my teacher taught me a way which is different from the methods I see online. And I get a different answer.

This is how I was taught to do it:

moles of [itex]H_{}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}[/itex] = c * v
= 0.1 M * 0.025L
= 0.0025 mol

moles of [itex]NaOH[/itex] = c * v
= 0.1M * 0.01L
= 0.001 mol

Ethanoic acid is in excess, so
moles [itex]H_{}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}[/itex] = 0.0025 mol - 0.001 mol
= 0.0015 mol

[[itex]H_{}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}[/itex]] = [itex]\frac{n}{v}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{0.0015}{0.035}[/itex] = [itex]0.043[/itex]

[itex]H_{}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2} + H_{2}O \leftrightharpoons H_{3}O + C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}^{-}[/itex]
I [itex]\:\:[/itex] 0.043 [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] - [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] 0 [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] 0
C [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] -x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] - [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] +x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] +x
E [itex]\:\:\:[/itex] 0.043 - x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] - [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] x

ka = [itex]1.8 * 10^{-5}[/itex]

[itex]1.8 * 10^{-5}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{0.043}[/itex]
[itex]x = 8.8 * 10^{-4} M[/itex]
pH = [itex]-log[8.8 * 10^{-4}][/itex]
= [itex]3.05[/itex]Is this the right approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct but the concentration of ##C_2H_3O_2^-## at E is not x, it is x+something, can you figure out the "something" part? (Think about the reaction of NaOH with the given acid).

What is other approach you talk about? To my knowledge, you have a buffer after reaction of NaOH with ##HC_2H_3O_2## so you might have seen the online resources using Henderson–Hasselbalch equation but that is actually obtained from the procedure you follow, there is really no need to look it up.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Your approach is correct but the concentration of ##C_2H_3O_2^-## at E is not x, it is x+something, can you figure out the "something" part? (Think about the reaction of NaOH with the given acid).

What is other approach you talk about? To my knowledge, you have a buffer after reaction of NaOH with ##HC_2H_3O_2## so you might have seen the online resources using Henderson–Hasselbalch equation but that is actually obtained from the procedure you follow, there is really no need to look it up.

Thanks for the reply. The other approach is where they use a mole chart
like this
KfbII4Q5ZQ2V19x3qi7hHAsvWGTmvIRU2n_KH-ZhDEalhTg3ZkD-6mnYq8xD_zk3K-vhKJz7CzsvyP4NphJB44Wnl6Yqqdig.png

I just want to know the situations of when to use a mole chart. This had been confusing me for weeks haha.

Ace. said:
I just want to know the situations of when to use a mole chart. This had been confusing me for weeks haha.

You use a mole chart in every situation as you did in your attempt. Did you solve the problem?

Likes 1 person
From moles and volume you have calculated the molarity of HAc. But you haven't calculated the molarity of Ac- that I can see.

Write out the formula for Ka and you will see you you don't need to calculate either molarity. [HAc] and [Ac-] enter as a ratio, molarity ratio equals moles ratio. From the Ka formula and what you have, finding [H+] is staightforward enough.

You can assume neutralization went to completion, use this assumption to calculate [HAc] and [Ac-], plug into Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Done.

You can also start with above, assume dissociation went further and use ICE table to find the exact answer.

The difference will be in most cases negligible, so the latter step can be safely ignored.

These are about buffer pH, but it is exactly the same problem:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=buffers&right=composition-calculation

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=buffers&right=with-ICE-table

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:

0.029+x?

Oh I see[itex]H_{}C_{2}H_{3}O_{2} + H_{2}O \leftrightharpoons H_{3}O + C_{2}H_{3}O_{2}^{-}[/itex]
I [itex]\:\:[/itex] 0.043 [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] - [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] 0 [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] 0.029
C [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] -x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] - [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] +x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] +x
E [itex]\:\:\:[/itex] 0.043 - x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] - [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] x [itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex] x + 0.029

ka = [itex]1.8 * 10^{-5}[/itex]

[itex]1.8 * 10^{-5}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{x * 0.029}{0.043}[/itex]
[itex]x = 2.67 * 10^{-5} M[/itex]
pH = [itex]-log[2.67 * 10^{-5}][/itex]
= [itex]4.57[/itex]

And to verify using henderson equation: [itex]pH = 4.74 + log(\frac{0.029}{0.043}) = 4.57[/itex]. Much easier.

Thanks! It makes sense too, I guess my teacher taught me wrong, I'll talk to him about it.

Last edited:
Note that x (being 2.67×10-5) is three orders of magnitude smaller than initial concentrations (both being in the 10-2 range). Thats why you can ignore it.

It won't be that way for very diluted solutions.

Related to PH for this Weak Acid-Strong Base titration.

1. What is the purpose of titration in determining the pH of a weak acid-strong base solution?

The purpose of titration is to determine the concentration of an acid or base in a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another acid or base. In the case of a weak acid-strong base titration, the titrant (strong base) is slowly added to the solution containing the weak acid until the equivalence point is reached. This allows for the determination of the pH at which the weak acid is neutralized by the strong base.

2. How does the pH change during a weak acid-strong base titration?

The pH initially decreases as the strong base is added, as the concentration of H+ ions from the weak acid decreases. However, once the equivalence point is reached, the pH rapidly increases as the strong base begins to neutralize the remaining weak acid. After the equivalence point, the pH levels off and remains constant.

3. What is the equivalence point in a weak acid-strong base titration?

The equivalence point is the point at which the moles of the strong base added is equal to the moles of the weak acid initially present in the solution. At this point, the solution is neutralized and the pH is determined by the dissociation of the resulting salt formed.

4. How does the strength of the acid and base affect the pH during titration?

The strength of the acid and base will determine the shape of the titration curve and the location of the equivalence point. A strong base will have a more dramatic effect on the pH compared to a weak base, and vice versa for a strong acid compared to a weak acid. This is because the dissociation of a strong acid or base is nearly complete, while a weak acid or base will not completely dissociate.

5. What is the significance of the pH at the equivalence point in a weak acid-strong base titration?

The pH at the equivalence point can be used to calculate the pKa of the weak acid. The pKa is a measure of the acid's strength and is defined as the pH at which the acid is half-dissociated. By knowing the pH at the equivalence point, the pKa can be determined using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.