Phase Angle Questions: Can Imaging of Speakers Change?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of changing the phase angle between two speakers and its potential impact on the sound imaging. The concept of phase angle is questioned and the suggestion is made to determine the intensity at different points in the sound field. The distance between the speakers, the wavelength or frequency of the sound, and the distance to the listener are all factors that affect the intensity of the sound.
tanky322
Well this isn't a h/w problem, rather its one I have myself.

I have two speakers, speaker one sits in its enclouser horizontal. Speaker 2 sits 58 Degrees out of phase with speaker one. ( See Drawing #1).

If I could somehow change the phase angle, would that change the imaging of the speaker as to where it would sound as if they were set up in Drawing #2?
Also is there a way to do this?
Phaseangle.jpg

Thanks,
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what is meant by phase angle - normally that would apply to timing between two sources/waves.

But simply draw a straight line between the speakers in Drawing 1 and then determine the intensity at any point in the field. Then rotate the line between speakers in drawing 1 parallel with the line in drawing 2 and this represents the same geometry, with perhaps a different distance between speakers.

The distance between the speakers, the wave length (or frequency) of the sound the distance to the location of reception determine the intensity.

I can provide some insight into the concept of phase angles and how they relate to speaker imaging. Phase angle refers to the timing relationship between two signals, in this case the signals from your two speakers. When the signals are in phase, they are aligned and produce a stronger, more cohesive sound. When they are out of phase, they can cancel each other out or create a weaker, less clear sound.

In terms of changing the phase angle between your speakers, there are a few things to consider. First, the physical placement of the speakers plays a big role in the phase relationship. Moving the speakers closer or further apart, or changing their angle, can affect the phase angle between them. Additionally, some speaker systems have controls that allow you to adjust the phase angle manually.

However, it's important to note that changing the phase angle may not necessarily improve the imaging of the speakers. Speaker imaging is a complex concept that involves many factors, including the placement of the speakers, the room acoustics, and the quality of the speakers themselves. Simply changing the phase angle may not have a significant impact on the overall sound quality and imaging.

In conclusion, while there are ways to adjust the phase angle between speakers, it may not necessarily result in a noticeable change in imaging. It's important to consider all factors and potentially consult with a professional in order to achieve the best sound quality and imaging from your speaker system.

FAQ: Phase Angle Questions: Can Imaging of Speakers Change?

1. How does imaging of speakers affect phase angle?

The imaging of speakers does not directly affect the phase angle. It is a measurement of the time difference between the arrival of a sound wave at two different locations. However, the imaging of speakers can impact the perception of phase angle by altering the direction and timing of sound waves.

2. Can imaging of speakers change the phase angle of a speaker?

No, the phase angle of a speaker is determined by the physical properties and design of the speaker. Imaging techniques can alter the perception of the phase angle, but not the actual measurement.

3. How can I improve the imaging of my speakers?

There are various techniques and equipment that can be used to improve the imaging of speakers, such as speaker placement, room acoustics, and using high-quality cabling and amplifiers. Consult with an audio professional for specific recommendations for your setup.

4. Does the phase angle of speakers affect sound quality?

Yes, the phase angle can have an impact on sound quality. A well-matched phase angle between speakers can result in a more cohesive and realistic soundstage, while a mismatched phase angle can lead to a distorted or unnatural sound.

5. Can phase angle be measured objectively?

Yes, phase angle can be measured objectively with specialized equipment and software. However, the perception of phase angle can also be subjective and vary from person to person.