Phase Change in a transmission line

In summary: I think I'll try using the equation with the f value.In summary, the phase change occurs when the frequency of the signal down the transmission line is different than the frequency of the signal at the beginning of the line.
David J
Gold Member

Homework Statement

(a) A transmission line has a length, ##l##, of 0.4λ. Determine the phase change, ##\beta l##, that occurs down the line.

Homework Equations

##\beta=\frac{\omega}{f\lambda}## or ##\beta=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}##

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was posted a couple of years ago. I wanted to ask questions in that original thread but the last post requested people not to use old threads but start new ones.
Thus this post.
My notes give me the equation
##\beta=\frac{\omega}{f\lambda}##
The original solution that was posted back in 2015 is shown below and used this equation.

β = ω / fλ
∴ βℓ = ω 0.4λ / fλ
= ω 0.4 / f
= 0.4x2π f / f
= 0.8π (=2.513 to 3d.p.)

##\beta=\frac{\omega}{f\lambda}## I understand this
The question is asking me to determine the phase change which is ##\beta l## or ##\beta## multiplied by ##l##

so ##\beta l =\frac{\omega(0.4\lambda)}{f\lambda}## What exactly has happened here?

I can see that the ##0.4\lambda## has been introduced to the equation but I don't understand why it has been inserted at that point

I can see below that the ##\lambda## have been removed as they cancel each other out
##=\frac{\omega(0.4)}{f}##

This next part I am struggling to understand. Suddenly there is a ##2\pi f## introduced
so now we have ##=\frac{0.4(2\pi f)}{f}## Does ##\omega## in some way ##=2\pi##??

In the next step the ##f## appear to have canceled each other out and we are left with
##=0.8\pi=2.513## and I believe this answer is correct in radians

However

During the initial post it was recommended to use the equation ##\beta=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}##

The statement was What was with the ω and f? β = 2π/λ so βl = (2π/λ)(0.4λ) = 2.513 radians.

So from this I am guessing that ##\omega## does in fact ##=2\pi##

##\beta=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}##

I need to multiply ##\beta## by ##0.4l## so ##\beta l=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(0.4\lambda)##

The ##\lambda## cancel out so we are left with ##\beta l=(2\pi)(0.4)##

so ##\beta l=2.513##

The answer is the same as the first equation.

I have drawn this post out a bit by trying to explain my understanding of all of this. I understand the second method better than the first because in the first we had to deal with ##f## for which I did not have a value.

My question is, is my understanding of this correct ?
Does ##\omega=2\pi##
What is ##f##

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
David J said:
What is f

I'd say it's a safe bet the author uses ƒ for frequency in cycles per second
and ω for frequency in radians per second
of course there being 2π radians in a cycle, ω = 2πƒ

β then is radians per unit length ? 2π radians per wavelength?
We often use wavelengths instead of inches to describe transmission lines and antennas. After you've used Smith charts a couple times it'll be intuitive.
David J said:
My question is, is my understanding of this correct ?
I think you do understand it, just you can't believe it's so easy, ω = 2πƒ

good luck in your studies.

Yes I think i understand it a bit better now and it is easier than I thought
When you have this equation, βl=(2π)(0.4), the result relies purely on the ##\lambda## (wavelength) value because ##2\pi## is obviously fixed. It makes sense now.

Thanks for the advice with this

Related to Phase Change in a transmission line

1. What is phase change in a transmission line?

Phase change in a transmission line refers to the change in the electrical phase of a signal as it travels along the line. This can be caused by various factors such as frequency, temperature, and impedance mismatches.

2. How does phase change affect signal transmission?

Phase change can cause distortion and attenuation of the signal, which can result in errors or loss of data. It can also affect the timing and synchronization of signals in a multi-channel system.

3. What causes phase change in a transmission line?

Phase change can be caused by various factors such as reflections, impedance mismatches, temperature changes, and dispersion. These factors can alter the velocity of the signal and cause changes in phase.

4. How can phase change be measured and controlled?

Phase change can be measured using an oscilloscope or a vector network analyzer. It can be controlled by using proper impedance matching, using high-quality cables and connectors, and minimizing temperature changes in the transmission line.

5. What are some applications of understanding phase change in a transmission line?

Understanding phase change is crucial in designing and troubleshooting high-frequency electronic systems such as antennas, radar systems, and telecommunications networks. It is also important in industries such as aerospace and defense, where precise timing and synchronization of signals are critical.