Phase factors of eigenstates in time-dependent Hamiltonians

U}(t) |\alpha;0\rangle.$$In summary, for a time-dependent Hamiltonian, the Schrodinger equation has a physical time-dependent state ##|\alpha;t\rangle## given by ##\sum_{n}c_{n}(t)e^{i\theta_{n}(t)}|n;t\rangle##, where ##\theta_{n}(t)## is given by ##-\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{0}^{t}E_{n}(t')dt'## and represents the phase factor pulled out from the eigenstate-expansion coefficients. This is due to the time evolution operator ##\hat
spaghetti3451
For a time-dependent Hamiltonian, the Schrodinger equation is given by

$$i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\alpha;t\rangle=H(t)|\alpha;t\rangle,$$

where the physical time-dependent state ##|\alpha;t\rangle## is given by

$$|\alpha;t\rangle = \sum\limits_{n}c_{n}(t)e^{i\theta_{n}(t)}|n;t\rangle$$

and

$$\theta_{n}(t)\equiv -\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{0}^{t}E_{n}(t')dt'.$$

---

##e^{i\theta_{n}(t)}## is the phase factor that has been pulled out from the eigenstate-expansion coefficients of ##|\alpha;t\rangle##.

Why is ##\theta_{n}(t)## given by

$$\theta_{n}(t)\equiv -\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{0}^{t}E_{n}(t')dt'?$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the time evolution operator ##\hat{U}(t)## is a solution of the TDSE
$$
i \hbar \frac{d\hat{U}(t)}{dt} = \hat{H}(t) \hat{U}(t)
$$
hence
$$
\hat{U}(t) = \exp\left[-\frac{i}{\hbar} \int_0^t \hat{H}(t') dt' \right]
$$

Related to Phase factors of eigenstates in time-dependent Hamiltonians

1. What is the significance of phase factors in time-dependent Hamiltonians?

Phase factors play a crucial role in time-dependent Hamiltonians as they determine the evolution of quantum systems. They represent the relative timing and amplitude of the oscillations between energy levels, and are responsible for the interference effects observed in quantum systems.

2. How do phase factors affect the eigenstates of a time-dependent Hamiltonian?

The phase factors of eigenstates in a time-dependent Hamiltonian determine the overall phase of the wavefunction, which affects the probability distribution of the system. This can lead to changes in the observed behavior of the system, such as the appearance of oscillations or beats.

3. Can phase factors be experimentally observed?

While phase factors cannot be directly measured, their effects can be observed through interference patterns in experiments. By manipulating the phase factors of a system, scientists can control the behavior of quantum systems and observe changes in the resulting interference patterns.

4. How do time-dependent Hamiltonians affect the phase factors of eigenstates?

Time-dependent Hamiltonians cause the phase factors of eigenstates to change over time, resulting in the evolution of the system. This allows for the study of dynamic systems and the prediction of future states based on the current phase factors.

5. Are there any real-world applications of phase factors in time-dependent Hamiltonians?

Yes, phase factors are crucial in understanding and manipulating quantum systems, which have numerous applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and energy harvesting. Additionally, the study of phase factors has led to advancements in quantum technologies and furthering our understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic level.