How to Accurately Measure Phase Angle in Multisim for Circuit Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring phase angle in Multisim and the process of doing so using the AC analysis feature. The result obtained from Multisim matches with the hand-calculated result, except for the phase angle of the current through capacitor C1 which is calculated differently.
etf
Hi!
Is it possible to measure phase angle in Multisim? I want to measure phase angle of current through capacitor C1:

sema1.jpg

I got by hand ic1(t)=0.117*sqrt(2)*sin(2*pi*50*t-178.040deg)

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Solved...

How did you do it?

Firstly, it's necessary to modify "AC analysis magnitude" of sources: in my case I put 16.970562 (12sqrt(2)) for voltage source, current source shouldn't be modified. Then I go to Simulate->Analysis->Single frequency AC analysis and there we choose Magnitude/Phase for Complex number format and in Output tab we select our variables. Here are phases for 4 nodes in our circuit:

mjerenje.jpg

It matches with result I got by hand. However, for some reason phase of current through capacitor C1 doesn't match with my result.

It doesn't calculate phase angle on same way as I. Here is complex current IC1:
IC1=-0.1174-0.0040195j. Phase angle of this current is atan(-0.0040195/(-0.1174))-pi=-3.1073rad=-178.040deg. Multisim calculates only atan(-0.0040195/(-0.1174))=1.959deg.

mjerenje2.jpg

Last edited:

Related to How to Accurately Measure Phase Angle in Multisim for Circuit Analysis

1. What is phase measurement in Multisim?

Phase measurement in Multisim refers to the process of analyzing the phase relationship between two signals. It involves measuring the time difference between two signals and expressing it in degrees or radians.

2. How does Multisim measure phase?

Multisim uses a phase meter instrument to measure phase. This instrument compares the phase of two signals and displays the phase difference in degrees or radians on a graph.

3. What is the importance of phase measurement in Multisim?

Phase measurement in Multisim is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of circuits and systems that involve multiple signals. It helps us understand the frequency response and stability of a circuit, and identify any potential issues such as phase distortion.

4. Can phase measurement in Multisim be used for all types of signals?

Yes, phase measurement in Multisim can be used for all types of signals, including sinusoidal, square, triangular, and other waveforms. However, it is most commonly used for analyzing sinusoidal signals.

5. Are there any tips for accurate phase measurement in Multisim?

To ensure accurate phase measurement in Multisim, it is important to use signals with a high signal-to-noise ratio and adjust the time scale on the phase meter instrument to capture the entire phase difference between the two signals. It is also helpful to use a reference signal to compare against the measured signal.