Phase portrait of nonlinear system of differential equations

In summary, the phase portrait of the nonlinear system x' = x^2, y' = y^2 consists of lines of equilibria along x = 0 and y = 0. The equilibrium point is (0,0). The associated linearized system is x' = 0, y' = 0. The solutions for the nonlinear system can be expressed as x(t) = -1/(t + C1) and y(t) = -1/(t + C2), with different trajectories depending on the values of C1 and C2. In the special case where C1 = C2 = 0, all trajectories follow the line y = x and approach the origin in different quadrants depending on
p3forlife

Homework Statement

Describe the phase portrait of the nonlinear system x' = x^2, y' = y^2
Also, find the equilibrium points and describe the behaviour of the associated linearized system.

The Attempt at a Solution

We have an equilibrium point at (0,0).
The associated linearized system is x' = 0, y' = 0. The phase portrait for this consists of lines of equilibria along x = 0, and y = 0.

For the nonlinear system, I have found solutions x(t) = -1/t and y(t) = -1/t. I don't know what these solutions mean in terms of a phase portrait. Nor can I express the solutions in terms of constants x_0 and y_0.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have left off the constant of integration when you found solutions x(t) and y(t). Both of your differential equations are separable.

dx/dt = x2 ==> dx/x2 = dt ==> [itex]\int dx/x^2 = \int dt[/itex]
==> -1/x = t + C1 ==> x = -1/(t + C1)

Similarly, y = -1/(t + C2)
You should be able to determine the constant from your initial conditions.

In the special case where C1 = C2 = 0, the trajectories follow the line y = x. If t > 0, the solution points approach the origin along the part of the line in the third quadrant. If t < 0, the solution points approach the origin along the part of the line in the first quadrant. Different initial conditions will generate different trajectories, but I believe all of them will be straight lines pointing into the origin.

Does that make sense? It has been a lot of years since I studied dynamical systems, so I might be a little off base on some of this.

Related to Phase portrait of nonlinear system of differential equations

1. What is a phase portrait?

A phase portrait is a graphical representation of the behavior of a nonlinear system of differential equations. It shows the trajectories of the system's state variables over time.

2. How is a phase portrait different from a traditional graph?

A phase portrait is different from a traditional graph in that it plots the relationships between multiple state variables over time, rather than just one variable. It also takes into account the dynamical nature of the system, rather than just a single snapshot of the system.

3. What information can be obtained from a phase portrait?

A phase portrait provides information about the stability and behavior of a nonlinear system. It can show the existence and location of equilibrium points, the direction and magnitude of movement of the system, and the presence of limit cycles or chaotic behavior.

4. How are phase portraits useful in studying nonlinear systems?

Phase portraits are useful in studying nonlinear systems because they provide a visual representation of the system's behavior, which can help identify patterns and understand the dynamics of the system. They also allow for the analysis of complex systems that cannot be easily solved analytically.

5. Can phase portraits be used to predict the future behavior of a system?

While phase portraits can provide valuable insights into a system's behavior, they cannot accurately predict the future behavior of a system. The behavior of a nonlinear system is highly dependent on initial conditions and small changes can lead to drastically different outcomes. Therefore, phase portraits should be used as a tool for understanding the behavior of a system, rather than predicting its future.