Phase to Phase vs Phase to Neutral

In summary: VAC while testing a 120.000 VAC motor. In summary, your test box may be able to handle the 120 volts, but you should make sure that the insulation is in good shape and that the wires are insulated from the test box.
ISX
Is there any difference? I have been thinking about this to the point of confusion. Basically I have a delta 120/208 3 phase service at the shop and we work at a place with 277/480 a lot. I have a test box to connect motors and such and it's crude at best having just a breaker and motor starter. The problem is that the coil for the motor starter is 120. At the shop I just hook one wire to one phase and the other wire to the neutral, being 120/208, it gives it 120.

At the other place, I'm obviously screwed. The plan is to use a transformer to make it work.

Now the other thing is that the shop has a wild leg on that delta, so I have to be careful when I am aiming for 120.. I guess its 208 on the wild leg and 240 between each phase. Since each phase is the same voltage be it at the shop or at the other place (all are 240 P-P or 480 P-P), why can't I just run 2 phases into an autotransformer and ditch the neutral issue altogether... 2:1 setting for the shop and 4:1 at the other place.

But is it that simple? I keep wondering if the 120* phase angle between phases will mess with it since phase to neutral is 180*. Am I wrong here? Am I just thinking too much? Thanks guys.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically I have a delta 120/208 3 phase service at the shop...

I doubt it. You have 120/208 WYE, or 120/240 DELTA. A WYE connected system doesn't have a wild leg that I have ever heard of. The wild leg voltage on a DELTA system is always lower than the leg to leg voltage but higher than the center tap-to-leg voltage (120 in a lot of cases). The term 'wild' refers to a voltage between ground (center tap on one phase) and the leg that is NOT connected the center tapped transformer. Not sure I want to give you any more advice here (yet) since I'm not sure you fully understand what's going on. A bit more discussion will reveal whether this is so.
-
Edit: You should probably get used to calling things by their proper names. What you call phase to phase is more properly called leg to leg. What is known as a phase is a pair of conductors. Sounds nitpicky, I know, but it does avoid confusion especially in places like physics forums. And yes, I am guilty of doing the same thing from time to time.

Last edited:
I just looked up the stuff on the net, I didn't remember the actual voltages but there is definitely a wild leg at the shop.. I understand all the rest you are saying, just a lack of remembering what the voltages were on my part, the I found a diagram on the net must be wrong too because it showed 240 leg to leg with the high leg to ground being 208 so who knows what they were smoking.

Sooo nobody? All I want to know is if I can hook the coil of a motor starter between legs if I use a transformer to reduce it to the voltage I need..

No takers yet ?

why can't I just run 2 phases into an autotransformer

If i understand -

don't use an autotransformer. Autotransformers don't isolate between primary and secondary
so none of your wires will be a neutral voltage . That might not be important if the box is insulated for 480 but it'd worry me.

But you are quite right here -

why can't I just run 2 phases into an autotransformer and ditch the neutral issue altogether... 2:1 setting for the shop and 4:1 at the other place.

But is it that simple? I keep wondering if the 120* phase angle between phases will mess with it since phase to neutral is 180*. Am I wrong here? Am I just thinking too much? Thanks guys.

if there's only two wires with 240 volts between them it's single phase 240,
if there's only two wires with 480 volts between them it's single phase 480,
it takes more than two conductors to make more than one phase. Two points determine a line, takes 3 to make a triangle.

so what you propose will work but for safety's sake get a control transformer with isolation between HV and LV windings.
BE SURE ABOUT WHAT"S INSIDE YOUR TEST BOX THOUGH !
At the shop I just hook one wire to one phase and the other wire to the neutral, being 120/208, it gives it 120.

Make DOUBLE SURE both those wires are insulated from the test box and the insulation is in good shape. You don't want to pick up a handful of 480.

Related to Phase to Phase vs Phase to Neutral

1. What is the difference between phase to phase and phase to neutral?

Phase to phase refers to the voltage difference between two phases of a three-phase electrical system. Phase to neutral refers to the voltage difference between one phase and the neutral wire. In a three-phase system, the neutral wire is grounded and has a voltage of 0, while the voltage between two phases can be much higher.

2. Which one is safer, phase to phase or phase to neutral?

Phase to neutral is generally considered safer because the voltage is lower and can be easily grounded. Phase to phase voltage can be several times higher and can cause more severe electric shocks.

3. Why is phase to phase voltage higher than phase to neutral voltage?

In a three-phase system, the voltage between two phases is higher because the voltage is not divided equally among the phases. Each phase is offset by 120 degrees, so the total voltage across the three phases is higher than the voltage between one phase and the neutral wire.

4. What are the advantages of using a three-phase system over a single-phase system?

A three-phase system allows for higher power transmission with less voltage drop. It also allows for the use of smaller, more efficient motors and equipment. Additionally, three-phase power is more stable and can handle more heavy-duty applications compared to single-phase power.

5. Can I convert phase to phase voltage to phase to neutral voltage?

Yes, it is possible to convert phase to phase voltage to phase to neutral voltage using a transformer. However, this may not be necessary as most electrical equipment is designed to work with either type of voltage. It is important to consult a licensed electrician before attempting any voltage conversions.