PhD Application: Personal Statement in Story-Telling Style?

In summary, the conversation is about the best approach to writing a personal statement for graduate school. The participants discuss different organizational possibilities and the importance of hooking the reader in the first paragraph. They also mention the need to link all experiences together in a narrative fashion without repeating information already included in the CV. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the narrative approach is more appealing and effective.
math_major_111
I am not sure if I can write the ps in the form of a story-telling of how I became interested in the graduate field of study, which naturally talks about my research/other experience in the chronological order, or directly jump straight into chunks of paragraphs (of course with transitioning sentences) that concentrate on my experience and why I want to go to such and such graduate schools?
I am leaning towards the first one because it naturally flows better with the same content. But I am not sure if this will be viewed to be a little unprofessional as it is not a personal statement to colleges anymore?
:wideeyed:

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you do undergrad research and do you have a Masters degree? Also, other experience? All that will appear in the basic CV. Depending on the school you are applying to, the personal statement should link them all together in a narrative fashion without having to rehash specifics already in the CV. This is your chance to show who you are and your motivations to get from the start to where you are now.

Motivations and passions

Likes math_major_111
I agree with the narrative approach.

There are several organizational possibilities: historical, topical in an academic sense, topical in a motivational sense, etc.

I work with a lot of students on application essays, and these choices often come down to how to fit the desired information into the available space (word or page limit), and how to frame things that portray the student in the best light while putting the most important things first (since many readers only read the first two paragraphs) while attempting to catch their interest so they read the whole essay.

For the higher stakes essays, one might even draft it with different organizational approaches and see which works better.

I tend to favor approaches that hook the reader in the first paragraph, because it doesn't matter what comes after that if no one reads it.

CapnGranite said:
Did you do undergrad research and do you have a Masters degree? Also, other experience? All that will appear in the basic CV. Depending on the school you are applying to, the personal statement should link them all together in a narrative fashion without having to rehash specifics already in the CV. This is your chance to show who you are and your motivations to get from the start to where you are now.

Great advice. I am finishing my undergraduate and I did some research already and am currently doing one.
If already have the details of my research experiences in the CV, what else could I say about these experiences in the PS?
Thank you!:smile:

Dr. Courtney said:
I agree with the narrative approach.

There are several organizational possibilities: historical, topical in an academic sense, topical in a motivational sense, etc.

I work with a lot of students on application essays, and these choices often come down to how to fit the desired information into the available space (word or page limit), and how to frame things that portray the student in the best light while putting the most important things first (since many readers only read the first two paragraphs) while attempting to catch their interest so they read the whole essay.

For the higher stakes essays, one might even draft it with different organizational approaches and see which works better.

I tend to favor approaches that hook the reader in the first paragraph, because it doesn't matter what comes after that if no one reads it.

Thank you for the advice again Dr. Courtney! The narrative style looks more appealing to the readers in my opinion because I think it will naturally explain why I did C and D things after I did A and B.

FAQ: PhD Application: Personal Statement in Story-Telling Style?

What is a personal statement in story-telling style for a PhD application?

A personal statement in story-telling style for a PhD application is a written statement that tells a compelling and engaging story about your personal, academic, and professional journey. It is typically required as part of the application process for a PhD program and serves as an opportunity for you to showcase your unique experiences, skills, and motivations for pursuing a PhD.

What should be included in a personal statement in story-telling style for a PhD application?

A personal statement in story-telling style should include a brief introduction about yourself, a narrative about your academic and professional experiences, and a clear explanation of your motivation for pursuing a PhD. It should also highlight any relevant skills, achievements, and future goals that make you a strong candidate for the program.

How long should a personal statement in story-telling style be for a PhD application?

The length of a personal statement in story-telling style for a PhD application can vary, but it is typically around 500-1000 words. It is important to follow the specific guidelines provided by the program you are applying to and to make sure that your statement is concise, well-structured, and engaging.

What makes a personal statement in story-telling style stand out in a PhD application?

A personal statement in story-telling style that stands out in a PhD application is one that is well-written, authentic, and demonstrates a strong connection between your personal experiences and your desire to pursue a PhD. It should also showcase your unique qualities, skills, and potential for contributing to the program and the field of study.

How can I make my personal statement in story-telling style more effective for a PhD application?

To make your personal statement in story-telling style more effective for a PhD application, it is important to take the time to reflect on your personal and academic journey, and to identify the key themes and experiences that have led you to pursue a PhD. Additionally, incorporating specific examples and using vivid language can make your story more engaging and memorable for the admissions committee.