PhD Timeline: From Bachelor's Degree to Doctoral Completion

• Programs
  • Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses the length of time it takes to complete a Ph.D. in physics, with a range of 4-7 years in the US depending on the field and luck with research. It is common for students to enter a Ph.D. program after completing their bachelor's degree, and some programs offer the option to obtain a master's degree along the way. The conversation also mentions the average time for completing a Ph.D. in different fields and the benefits of taking longer to complete the degree. It is noted that the person starting their studies at 26 is not significantly older than the average age for entering grad school.
Eric Cartman
Hi.
I'm considering going into physics and I realize that while I can't be sure of anything, at the end a phd is very important for a physicist so I was wondering:
How long does it take to complete a phd? I don't mean from freshman. I mean if I already have a bachelor's degree, and do I need master's degree or I can just go ahead and work on phd once I have bachelor's?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on what country you're in.

In the US, it varies between about four and seven years, depending on which field you're in, whether it's experimental or theoretical, how much luck you have with your research work, etc.

Also, in the US, students who are aiming for a physics Ph.D. generally enter a Ph.D. program directly after finishing their bachelor's degree. After they've passed enough coursework they can pick up an M.S. along the way. There are also "terminal masters'" programs which do not lead on to a Ph.D. program, and are generally specialized in some way (e.g. applied physics) and are intended for a career in industry rather than in research.

Last edited:
and this time it takes from Bachelor's or Masters? Do you need to go through masters degree or you can start right after you get bachelor's?

Eric Cartman said:
and this time it takes from Bachelor's or Masters? Do you need to go through masters degree or you can start right after you get bachelor's?

Read ZapperZ's stickied post entitled "So, you want to be a physicist?"

Eric Cartman said:

From bachelor's. As I wrote in my previous post:

in the US, students who are aiming for a physics Ph.D. generally enter a Ph.D. program directly after finishing their bachelor's degree.

At my school the average is 5.5 years. One of the biophysics guys got done in 4 years (granted he worked his butt off). On the other hand, someone in my astro group took 7 years.

It took me seven years, in experimental HEP, five and a half years after I joined a research group. I could probably have finished a year earlier, but my research group wasn't in any hurry to kick me out so long as they had enough analysis work that I could do alongside my dissertation, to justify paying me. They even let me stay for a year after I finished, while I was job-hunting. So I was effectively a graduate student for eight years.

In my dept. (physics) the average is 7.6 years.

The longer, the better.

Why is that?

Matter of personal preference. Longer till interest acrues on loans, take time to enjoy your research instead of grinding on it, really soak up the material and learn the funding markets.

So, it appears that 5 years is a pretty common number, while there can be exception.
It was important to me because I'm starting my studies pretty late compared to other people so I had know how long the entire process might take.

Thanks everybody!

Eric Cartman said:
So, it appears that 5 years is a pretty common number, while there can be exception.
It was important to me because I'm starting my studies pretty late compared to other people so I had know how long the entire process might take.

Thanks everybody!

As of now my plans are to go to grad school and I won't be entering till I'm around 26. So this might be similar to you. Does anybody know if this is much older then most grad school freshman?

I entered at 26 which put me as one of the older grad students but only by a year or 2 on average. That was in mech. engineering.

FAQ: PhD Timeline: From Bachelor's Degree to Doctoral Completion

1. How long does a PhD typically take?

The average length of a PhD program is between 4-6 years, depending on the field of study and individual progress.

2. Can a PhD be completed in less than 4 years?

While it is possible to complete a PhD in less than 4 years, it is not common. The length of a PhD program is determined by the amount of research and coursework required, which can vary depending on the specific program and university.

3. Is it possible to extend the length of a PhD program?

Yes, it is possible to extend the length of a PhD program. This may occur if a student needs more time to complete their research or if they are facing unexpected challenges. It is important to communicate any difficulties or delays with your advisor and department to ensure an extension is approved.

4. Are there part-time PhD programs available?

Yes, there are part-time PhD programs available, which can take longer to complete than full-time programs. These programs are often designed for working professionals who are balancing their studies with other commitments.

5. Can a PhD program be completed in more than 6 years?

While most PhD programs have a maximum time limit of 6-8 years, it is possible for a program to take longer to complete. This may occur if a student takes a break from their studies or if they need additional time to complete their research. It is important to communicate any changes in timeline with your advisor and department to ensure you stay on track for graduation.