How Can Phonons, Einstein & Debye Models Explain the Dulong-Petit Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the logarithm of the partition function 'Z' to determine heat capacity. The speaker is unsure if they can manipulate the logarithm in the integral to make the integration and differentiation simpler. They also discuss the use of the normalizing integral and when to impose the 'large T' condition. One suggestion is to use a series expansion for the logarithm when beta is very small compared to the energy scale of the problem. The speaker has achieved an approximation of the term inside the logarithm as 1/(betaE) but is unsure if this is correct.
Sekonda
Hey,

My question is on Phonons, the Einstein & Debye models and the Dulong Petit Law. The question is displayed below:

Quantum.png

I am told how to get to the heat capacity by using the logarithm of the partition function 'Z', and so I set about differentiating the logarithm of Z with respects to Beta twice.

However I'm unsure if I can manipulate the logarithm present in the integral (the one with the exponential functions with exponents BetaxE) to take on some other form which would allow the integration & differentiation to be simpler.

I'm not sure how I impose the normalizing integral condition and not sure how to use the normalizing integral with the integral displayed to the left of it. Also when to impose the 'large T' - I presume after differentiation and integrating?

Cheers guys!
S

Physics news on Phys.org
The high temperature limit would be beta very small compared to the energy scale of the problem, i.e. beta Lambda << 1, so that beta E << 1 for the entire integral. Then try a series expansion on the log.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So I differentiate he partition function with respects to beta twice, then integrate, impose small beta then taylor expand?

I've managed to attain that the term inside the logarithm can be approximated by 1/(betaE),
however substituting this into the lnZ equation gives me one term I want and another term like :
∫dEg(e)lnE

does this vanish? Or is my approximation wrong of 1/(betaE)?

Thanks again!

Is the series expansion for the logarithm [tex]\LARGE \frac{1}{\beta E}[/tex]

Related to How Can Phonons, Einstein & Debye Models Explain the Dulong-Petit Law?

1. What are phonons?

Phonons are quantized units of mechanical vibration or lattice vibrations in a solid material. They are responsible for the transfer of heat and sound energy in materials.

2. How are phonons related to the Dulong-Petit Law?

The Dulong-Petit Law states that the heat capacity of a solid material at constant volume is approximately equal to 3R, where R is the gas constant. This law is based on the assumption that each atom in a solid material has three degrees of freedom, which are related to the three types of phonons present in the material.

3. What is the significance of the Dulong-Petit Law?

The Dulong-Petit Law is significant because it provides a way to calculate the heat capacity of solid materials and can be used to predict their thermal properties. It also helped establish the concept of quantized energy levels in solid materials and contributed to the development of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Dulong-Petit Law?

Yes, there are exceptions to the Dulong-Petit Law, particularly for materials with low atomic weight and low temperatures. These exceptions are due to the effects of quantum mechanics and the behavior of phonons at low temperatures.

5. How is the Dulong-Petit Law related to other laws in thermodynamics?

The Dulong-Petit Law is related to other laws in thermodynamics, such as the Ideal Gas Law and the Law of Equipartition of Energy. These laws all involve the concept of energy distribution and the relationship between temperature, energy, and heat capacity.