Photo Contest - A Brutal Winter (3/5-3/11)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "A Brutal Winter" and the submission deadline is from March 5th to March 11th. Participants can submit multiple photos as long as they follow the theme and are original. The contest is open to anyone and the winners will be determined by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winners will be announced on March 15th.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A Brutal Winter

Many of us in the Northern Hemisphere, especially in parts of Europe and the US, went through a very rough winter this year. We have hope that with spring only a few weeks away, the most severe part of this winter is behind us. This week's contest will, hopefully, be the last look back at the "memorable" winter of 2010/2011. So dig out your photos and show the worst of this past winter!

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread[/QUOTE]

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a bit Northern Hemisphere-ist isn't it?

Fine! A contest about winter, and all yesterday and today we've had nothing but rain! Mid-40's still tonight.

I hear you, Andy. It's tough for me to pick too. Same basic weather conditions for winter, and add a wee bit colder because I'm a wee bit farther north than you are. Some winters aren't too bad. Some of them just never end.

Here is the result of todays particularly nasty ice-storm. This is the spruce tree that shelters my deck in the summer. It took me all afternoon to clear the mess off the deck and the driveway. It's nice to have the tractor to deal with storms, but there is no cab, and the freezing rain chilled me to the bone.

I'm surprised that we still have power. The icy trees are very heavy and the wind is picking up.

sad_spruce.jpg

GeorginaS said:
I hear you, Andy. It's tough for me to pick too. Same basic weather conditions for winter, and add a wee bit colder because I'm a wee bit farther north than you are. Some winters aren't too bad. Some of them just never end.

Yeah... never ending winters. Two years ago it snowed in May (!), and for the past three years straight, we got heavy snowstorms the week after snowplow contracts typically end (say, early April). Not cool.

Andy Resnick said:
I had a hard time picking one photo. Winters in Cleveland will grind you down- the sun goes away in early December and comes out in early April. For 3 months (mid-December to mid-February) the combination of short, overcast days means you leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark. Pristine snow turns to a grey-brown sludge within 8 hours, and cars prematurely rust from all the road salt.

Andy: please pay attention to one of our rules for this thread:

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

I deleted that post and you may submit a photo for this contest again.

Zz.

[PLAIN]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3319/dsc4380.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a terrible winter day, but one of the nicest we had, figured I would go outside and take pictures during my Christmas break.
Note that this was taken at about 12:30, this is the highest the sun gets from this latitude.

WinterDay.jpg

Brutal winter for roses for sure.

2ykxe1e.jpg

fldq34.jpg

This was the view of the road (it's under there somewhere) outside my house when we suddenly got 6 inches of snow at the end of November last year. Pleasant and peaceful to look at, but as we "never" get snow here (in Hampshire, south coast of England) local government won't invest in equipment to help clear it, so only the motorways get cleared and the rest of the area comes to a near-total halt. The schools all closed (including one where we were about to have a big concert).

I previously lived in Sweden for a few years, where every flurry of snowflakes would immediately bring out a flurry of snowploughs and sweepers, and everything else continued as normal.

At the height of the last blizzard.

img0462u.jpg

Zz.

IMG_0529.jpg

Not a really great image, but this was the view from my balcony one weekend this past January. We accumulated just over 60 cm (about 2 feet) of snow in around 48 hours. It was a brutal weekend. The snow is nowhere near gone yet.

marcin_brutal_winter2.jpg

It's not a brutal Winter unless you've been brutalized by it.

fwnk0l.png

And if it isn't sufficiently brutal where you live, you can always head for the hills and hope for nasty winds and white-out conditions. =D

Final day to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

Zz: I notice the contest is for pictures taken this Winter - my submission is not valid. That picture was taken during the 2009/2010 Winter. Please remove it. If I find the time, I'll submit a replacement.

No, the contest is not restricted only to pictures from this winter. It is from ANY winter. So your picture is perfectly valid.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, the contest is not restricted only to pictures from this winter. It is from ANY winter. So your picture is perfectly valid.

Zz.
I wish I had known that. I have pictures from recent winters in which my house is barely visible, except for the roof. Ah, well. The iced-over spruce branches are indicative of what we're putting up with currently. More rain today, too.

Related to Photo Contest - A Brutal Winter (3/5-3/11)

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "A Brutal Winter", meaning that submissions should showcase the harsh and unforgiving nature of winter.

2. When is the submission deadline?

The submission period for the photo contest is from March 5th to March 11th, giving participants one week to submit their photos.

3. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit multiple photos for the photo contest as long as each photo follows the given theme and is original.

4. Who can enter the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in participating, regardless of their age, location, or profession.

5. How will the winners be determined?

The winners of the photo contest will be determined by a panel of judges who will evaluate each submission based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The winners will be announced on March 15th.