Photo Contest - Ewwww, Gross (7/25-7/31)

In summary, the "Ewwww, Gross" photo contest is a platform for photographers to showcase the beauty in disgusting things. Anyone, regardless of skill level, can participate as long as they follow the rules. The photos submitted should evoke a sense of disgust and can be of any type, as long as they fit the theme. Winners are chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. Minor edits are allowed, but heavily manipulated photos will be disqualified.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Ewwww, Gross!

OK, this might easily turn ugly. In fact, I expect it to.

Your photos this week should invoke that kind of a reaction. However, you should use your own judgment if your photo might be too gross to be shown in this forum.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate snakes. Photo taken at Holly Beach, Louisiana.

Attachments

• Holly Beach Snake (463x800).jpg
    Holly Beach Snake (463x800).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 399
Dr. Courtney said:
I hate snakes. Photo taken at Holly Beach, Louisiana.

You need to use a photo server, not use the attachment.

Zz.

19869142748_cfc81e3a4a_o.jpg

A well-used tip for a soldering iron (no, I don't use it anymore, it has received an honorable discharge :smile:)

Likes Enigman
katie_zps0zoqqcqw.jpg

marzena_Ewwww_Gross-1.jpg

marcin_eww.jpg

Final day for you to gross out the people reading this thread.

Zz.

Interesting injury, @Borek ! How did it happen?

berkeman said:

He probably stepped onto some cracked pots.

:)

Zz.

Likes DennisN, Borek and berkeman
That was a strange one. I hit my leg with the bike pedal - just below the knee. Not even strong, as far as I remember (it was last year) I didn't fall, nothing like that, I wasn't even mounted, just some clumsy move while trying to keep the bike straight up and close the gate or something like that. Nothing worth remembering, one of these things that happen all the time - which is why I am not even sure what it was. A day or two later I realized my leg in that place is a little bit swollen and hurts when touched. Happens. (- Doc, it hurts when I touch it. - Don't.) Then, few days later, the bruise appeared. Yes, I hit my leg around a foot (12") above the bruise, and there were no other traces of the blood above. I have seen blood migrating down in such cases, but never that far.

Likes berkeman
Borek said:
That was a strange one. I hit my leg with the bike pedal - just below the knee. Not even strong, as far as I remember (it was last year) I didn't fall, nothing like that, I wasn't even mounted, just some clumsy move while trying to keep the bike straight up and close the gate or something like that.
Ouch. When I was younger - maybe fourteen, fifteen, I don't remember - I got a ride from someone on a bicycle (I was sitting behind the cyclist). I was barefoot, and suddenly for some reason my foot accidentally got stuck in the wheel while we were riding, which resulted in lots of pain and a pretty badly injured foot :oops:. I never did anything like that again...

berkeman said:
I was accused once during a chat of having an ankle fetish. Seems a lot of PFers get those kind of injuries. Another one for my collection. :cry:

PF ankles.jpg

Likes Borek
dlgoff said:
I was accused once during a chat of having an ankle fetish.
So would you say that it is your Achilles's heel?

Likes mesa and dlgoff

Related to Photo Contest - Ewwww, Gross (7/25-7/31)

1. What is the purpose of the "Ewwww, Gross" photo contest?

The purpose of the "Ewwww, Gross" photo contest is to showcase the beauty in the gross and disgusting things around us. It challenges photographers to find beauty in the unexpected and often overlooked aspects of our world.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

Anyone can participate in the photo contest, as long as they follow the rules and guidelines set by the organizers. This contest is open to amateur and professional photographers alike.

3. What types of photos are allowed in the "Ewwww, Gross" contest?

As the name suggests, the photos submitted to this contest should evoke a sense of disgust or revulsion. This can be achieved through subject matter, composition, or editing techniques. However, any type of photo that fits the theme is allowed, including close-ups, landscape shots, and abstract images.

4. How are the winners selected in the photo contest?

The winners are selected by a panel of judges who will evaluate the photos based on creativity, technical skill, and how well the photo fits the theme. The judges' decisions are final, and the winners will be announced after the submission deadline.

5. Can I edit my photo before submitting it to the contest?

Minor edits, such as cropping or adjusting brightness and contrast, are allowed. However, major manipulations that significantly alter the original photo are not permitted. Any photo found to be heavily edited will be disqualified from the contest.