Photodetector in single-slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photodetectors detecting single photons and whether or not this implies a physical size for the photon. It is mentioned that there is no evidence for a definite size of a photon, and that detectors either make a blip or they don't. The conversation also covers the possibility of using smaller detectors and the idea of a photon being equivalent to the blip of the detector.
Chaos' lil bro Order
I have a lay question that needs answering please.

If a photodetector can display a single 'white dot blip' where a single photon has struck it, how can this be explained without requiring a physical size of the incident photon?

Side Questions

1) Does a photon of higher energy leave a smaller 'blip' than a lower energy photon would?

2) Does a photodetector measure any properties of an incident photon other than its energy?

3) Can a photon with a wavelength greater in size than the slit its passing through be detected by a photodetector?

4) Will ZapperZ answer this post, chew me up, make me feel bad and enjoy bashing me for the nth time? (please don't answer this one :smile: )

Anyhoo, answers appreciated, ty.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your detector either makes a blip, or doesn't. You can replace your detector with a surface divided into smaller detectors, but still each either blips or does not. If the photon had a definite size then you could make really small detectors such that if one detects the photon, an adjacent one detects it too. Nobody has demonstrated any such thing.

1 - blips don't have an area, but they may have.. a "loudness" related to the energy.
2 - yes, eg. can measure *when* the photon was inside the detector.
3 - seems so.

I can see where this thread is going,... wave or particle...

cesiumfrog said:
If the photon had a definite size then you could make really small detectors such that if one detects the photon, an adjacent one detects it too. Nobody has demonstrated any such thing.

Interesting idea frog. Is this being developed at present?

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Is this being developed at present?
I'm guessing no, because anyone who has studied enough physics needs no further convincing.

Besides, any time I point to the evidence of progressively smaller CCD arrays, you would only say that the photon is smaller than the elements in the latest arrays. And someone else would come along and insist the whole test is invalid because another quantum effect comes into play..

cesiumfrog said:
Your detector either makes a blip, or doesn't. You can replace your detector with a surface divided into smaller detectors, but still each either blips or does not. If the photon had a definite size then you could make really small detectors such that if one detects the photon, an adjacent one detects it too. Nobody has demonstrated any such thing.
But, if two detectors blips, wouldn't this be interpreted as "two photons have arrived"?
Wouldn't this mean the "the photon" is nothing else than "the blip of the detector"?

FAQ: Photodetector in single-slit experiment

What is a photodetector in a single-slit experiment?

A photodetector is a device that detects and measures the intensity of light. In a single-slit experiment, it is used to detect the interference pattern created by a single beam of light passing through a narrow slit.

How does a photodetector work in a single-slit experiment?

A photodetector works by converting light energy into electrical energy. In a single-slit experiment, it detects the varying intensity of light as it passes through the slit and produces an electrical signal that can be measured.

Why is a photodetector used in a single-slit experiment?

A photodetector is used in a single-slit experiment because it allows for precise measurement of the interference pattern created by the diffracted light. It also eliminates the need for human observation, providing more accurate and consistent results.

What are the limitations of using a photodetector in a single-slit experiment?

One limitation of using a photodetector in a single-slit experiment is that it can only detect the intensity of light, not its wavelength or polarization. Additionally, the size and placement of the photodetector can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

Are there different types of photodetectors used in single-slit experiments?

Yes, there are several types of photodetectors that can be used in single-slit experiments, including photodiodes, photomultiplier tubes, and charge-coupled devices (CCDs). Each type has its own advantages and limitations, so the choice of photodetector will depend on the specific needs of the experiment.