Photodissociation of Diatomic Molecules

• Thread starter mm8070
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a system to photodissociate isolated diatomic molecules. The person is looking at various topics such as absorption and emission rates, molecular orbital geometry, and the Morse potential, and has a strong background in quantum and E&M. They are unsure of how to proceed and are seeking advice on determining the theoretical case for one molecule. They also mention the absorption of photons by electrons and nuclei and the need to excite to an unbounded state for photodissociation. They note that most of the information can be found in textbooks on molecular physics and spectroscopy.
mm8070
I want to design a system of some kind that will photodissociate isolated diatomic molecules. I began by looking at Einstein's treatment of absorption and emission rates, molecular orbital geometry, the Morse potential and various other topics. I'm fairly well versed in quantum and E&M (full year of honors for both in my 3rd year). We used McIntyre for quantum and Griffiths for E&M.

I'm not sure how exactly to tackle this. It seems like all the stuff I've looked at is useful but I am not sure where to go from here. I first want to look at the case of an individual molecule and what wavelength of photons needed to dissociate. Also, how do i know the electrons will absorb these or any photons? Would the nucleus? After i figure out the theoretical case for one molecule, I am confident in my ability to apply stat mech but i'd appreciate advice on this anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you are after. Could you give some details as to what this "system" would be, and what do you hope to achieve with it?

Otherwise, most of the information is found in textbooks in molecular physics and spectroscopy.

I should also reply on the following:

mm8070 said:
Also, how do i know the electrons will absorb these or any photons? Would the nucleus?
It is both together: it is the system electron + nuclei that absorbs EM radiation. To achieve photodissociation, you usually need to excite to an unbounded (continuum) state of an excited electronic state.

There is an absorption cross-section, so the probability of dissociating a moleculee will depend on the experimental conditions.

Related to Photodissociation of Diatomic Molecules

1. What is photodissociation of diatomic molecules?

Photodissociation of diatomic molecules is a process in which a molecule is broken apart into smaller fragments due to the absorption of light energy. This process is also known as photolysis.

2. What types of diatomic molecules can undergo photodissociation?

Any diatomic molecule that has a bond with a significant amount of energy can undergo photodissociation. This includes molecules such as oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen (H2).

3. How does photodissociation occur?

Photodissociation occurs when a photon of light is absorbed by a diatomic molecule, causing the bond between the two atoms to break. This results in the formation of two or more smaller fragments.

4. What factors can affect the rate of photodissociation?

The rate of photodissociation can be influenced by several factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the light, the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment, and the strength of the chemical bond in the molecule.

5. What are the applications of photodissociation in scientific research?

Photodissociation is used in a variety of research fields, including atmospheric chemistry, astrochemistry, and molecular biology. It is also used in industrial processes, such as the production of semiconductor materials and the synthesis of new compounds.