Photoelectric Effect and the human eye

In summary, under favorable circumstances, the human eye can detect at least 1.0e-18 J of electromagnetic energy, which is equivalent to approximately 3 600-nm photons. This minimum detection limit indicates the maximum performance of the eye in distinguishing light.
daveyman

Homework Statement

Under favorable circumstances the human eye can detect 1.0e-18 J of electromagnetic energy. How many 600-nm photons does this represent?
(Modern Physics, Arthur Beiser, 6th Edition, Pg. 89)

Homework Equations

My answer is unreasonably low. My mistake is probably very simple, but I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I attempted to find the energy in a single photon with a wavelength of 600nm.
Since E=hf, I simply multiplied h and f.
I found f by the relationship f=c/lambda.
So, (6.626e-34)(3e8)/(600e-9) = 3.313e-19

Then, I just divided the total amount of energy by this amount (the amount of energy in a single proton).

(1.0e-18)(3.313e-19) = 3.02

I'm guessing that the eye can detect more than 3 photons at a time :-) but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the eye can detect more than three photons at a time, but, according to this problem, apparently it can't detect less than 3 photons at a time. You are finding the minimum amount of 600nm photons the eye can detect, by utilizing the minimum energy the eye can detect.

Your work looks fine to me.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad to hear that my work makes sense, but how did you come to the conclusion that the given energy is a minimum? The way it is worded ("under favorable circumstances") it almost sounds like it would be maximum...

I interpreted "under favorable circumstances" as "maximum performance of the eye" i.e. the smallest amount of light the eye can detect will be less and less as it performs better.

So, I interpret the result as:

"Under favorable circumstances, i.e. when your eyes are performing at their very best, they can distinguish at least three photons at a time, but no less.

Also, we know for a fact that the eye can detect more than that amount of energy, so it can't be a maximum.

Oh! - the performance of the eye here is based on how little light the eye can still distinguish - I totally get it! That makes tons of sense, actually - thanks!

No problem.:smile:

Related to Photoelectric Effect and the human eye

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where certain metals emit electrons when light of a certain frequency is shone on them. This effect was first discovered by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect relate to the human eye?

The photoelectric effect is also responsible for the way our eyes detect light. The photons of light entering our eyes interact with the photosensitive cells in our retina, causing a cascade of reactions that ultimately result in the stimulation of nerve cells and the perception of light.

3. What factors affect the photoelectric effect in the human eye?

The photoelectric effect in the human eye is affected by the intensity and wavelength of light. Higher intensity light can stimulate more photosensitive cells and result in a brighter perception, while different wavelengths of light correspond to different colors perceived by the eye.

4. Can the photoelectric effect be harmful to the human eye?

In general, the photoelectric effect is not harmful to the human eye. However, prolonged exposure to high intensity light, such as from the sun or bright artificial lights, can potentially damage the retina and lead to vision problems.

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in technology and everyday life?

The photoelectric effect has many applications in technology and everyday life. It is used in solar cells to convert light energy into electricity, in photodiodes and phototransistors for light detection, and in digital cameras and image sensors to capture and process images.