Photoelectric Effect: The Impact of Light Intensity on Photocell Response

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intensity in relation to photoelectric cells and how it affects the number of photons reaching the cell and the resulting current. There is some confusion about whether intensity refers to power per area or the number of photons reaching the surface per second. The correct answer to the question is a, but there is some discrepancy in the wording which may have caused confusion. It is also mentioned that the response of a photocell to different frequencies can vary depending on the compounds used.
Biker

Homework Statement

If blue and red light are used on a photoelectric cell and they both have the same intensity (Power per area). Choose the correct option from the following
UEqSI8P.png

Homework Equations

E = nhf
Intensity = power/area
Quantum effeciency = 100%

The Attempt at a Solution

if they have the same intensity as in same power per area then the number of photons reaching the cell differs. Red has more photons than blue light does. Thus red should have higher current.

a to d from left to right.
The correct answer was a, Was the question phrased wrong and they meant by intensity the number of photons reaching the plate per sec? Or did they neglect the small difference between the two currents?

Likes physics123
Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
The correct answer was a, Was the question phrased wrong and they meant by intensity the number of photons reaching the plate per sec? Or did they neglect the small difference between the two currents?
In my textbook when it speaks about photoelectric effect, and it mentions "same intensity" I am supposed to think of intensity as the number of photons reaching the surface every second.

Likes Biker
Asmaa Mohammad said:
In my textbook when it speaks about photoelectric effect, and it mentions "same intensity" I am supposed to think of intensity as the number of photons reaching the surface every second.
Yea I do that too, But in this question they insisted that it is power per area. I guess this question is just weird.

Thanks for help

Biker said:
Yea I do that too, But in this question they insisted that it is power per area. I guess this question is just weird.

Thanks for help
You are welcome!

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Blue photons have more energy per photon than red ones (=hf). So I would not go with that view.

Also, the question IS weird since photocell reponse to frequency varies greatly with the componds used to fabricate the photocell.

Related to Photoelectric Effect: The Impact of Light Intensity on Photocell Response

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which light, or other electromagnetic radiation, ejects electrons from a material's surface. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the main principle behind the photoelectric effect?

The main principle behind the photoelectric effect is that light is composed of particles, called photons, that carry energy. When a photon hits a material, it transfers its energy to an electron, allowing it to break free from the material's surface.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material, such as its composition and surface characteristics. The work function, which is the minimum energy required to remove an electron from the material, also plays a significant role in the photoelectric effect.

What are the applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, such as in photovoltaic cells, which convert light into electricity; in photomultiplier tubes, which detect and measure light; and in photocells, which are used in light sensors and automatic door openers.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in the development of quantum mechanics?

The photoelectric effect played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, as it provided evidence for the particle nature of light and the quantization of energy. This phenomenon also helped to establish the concept of the photon, which is now a fundamental particle in the standard model of particle physics.