Photoelectric Effect: Wavelengths & Metals

In summary, the photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. The energy of the photons in the light determines the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons. This is known as the threshold frequency, and it differs for different metals. The wavelength of the light also plays a role, as shorter wavelengths have higher energy photons that can cause the emission of electrons. Metals with a lower work function, meaning it requires less energy to remove an electron, are more sensitive to the photoelectric effect. This effect has numerous applications in technology, including solar panels and photomultiplier tubes used in scientific experiments.
HMS-776
I have a few questions on the Photoelectric Effect.

First off, what wavelengths could be used to cause a photoelectric on Stainless Steel?

What widely available metals have the lowest eV for the photoelectric effect?

Could a UV light of 380nm work to cause a photoelectric effect on Stainless steel or aluminum? Or does it have to be the exact energy level?

Physics news on Phys.org
HMS-776 said:
Could a UV light of 380nm work to cause a photoelectric effect on Stainless steel or aluminum? Or does it have to be the exact energy level?

Aluminium would be your best bet (it is one of the most common metals and has a fairly low work function (4.08 eV). However, this corresponds to a wavelength of 304nm, so 380nm isn't short enough. The photons in the 380nm light will only have 3.3eV, enough to ionise sodium, potassium, cesium and any other metals with only 1 electron in the outer shell. These metals are pretty hard to get hold of though I would imagine, so I'm not sure you could do any experiments of this kind without a different UV source!

Source: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/Tables/photoelec.html

I understand now that it wouldn't work with 380nm. Looks like I would need something around 300nm. Too expensive for now...

Thanks everyone for the help!

What if a high voltage is applied, will it have any effect on lengthening the wavelength needed?

Hi HMS I read many papers stating that the work function lower in the case it is exposed to vacuum and an electric field.

I would expect heating it would help out. Heating up the material can cause thermionic emission without the incident light. Basically, the electrons would be excited thermally to higher states requiring less photonic energy.

FAQ: Photoelectric Effect: Wavelengths & Metals

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or energy. This effect was first discovered by scientist Heinrich Hertz in 1887.

2. How does the wavelength of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The wavelength of light directly affects the energy of the photons, which in turn determines the energy required to free an electron from a material. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the photons, and the more likely electrons will be emitted from the material.

3. Why do some metals exhibit the photoelectric effect while others do not?

The photoelectric effect only occurs in materials with a low work function, meaning it requires a low amount of energy to remove an electron from the material's surface. Metals with a low work function, such as potassium and cesium, are more likely to exhibit the photoelectric effect.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the photoelectric effect, only the frequency or energy of the light does. However, increasing the intensity of light can result in more electrons being emitted from the material due to an increased number of photons hitting the surface.

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect is used in various technologies such as solar panels, photodiodes, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also the basis for devices like photocells, which are used in automatic doors and light sensors. Additionally, the photoelectric effect is utilized in scientific research to study the properties of materials and the behavior of photons.

Back