Photoinduced absorption spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photoinduced absorption spectroscopy and its components, the pump and probe light bursts. The speaker is unsure about the meaning of (delta)OD and asks for clarification on the graphs with time and (delta)OD on the axes. They also mention the importance of providing the reference of the paper being discussed.
InTuoVultu
I'm trying to comprehend a paper I'm supposed to summarize
this one:
---ok it won't let me post urls---- whatever

My question, is what is the deal with photoinduced absorption spectroscopy? I gathered that it involves a "pump" (burst of light) striking the sample and then a "probe" (another burst of light) striking the sample after the probe in the next few pico/fempto seconds. Watching what comes out tells you something about how the electron structure changes with time. But what is (delta)OD? There are graphs with time on the x-axis and this (delta)OD on the y. Can anyone explain what I'm looking at?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the article reference (author/journal/volume/page)?

InTuoVultu said:
I'm trying to comprehend a paper I'm supposed to summarize
this one:
---ok it won't let me post urls---- whatever

You should always post the exact reference to the paper, and I don't mean the url. If you don't know what that is, look at the references listed at the end of the paper you're reading and see how they are listed.

Zz.

Related to Photoinduced absorption spectroscopy

What is photoinduced absorption spectroscopy?

Photoinduced absorption spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to study the absorption of light by a material. It involves shining a light source onto a sample and measuring the changes in its absorption spectrum over time.

How does photoinduced absorption spectroscopy work?

In photoinduced absorption spectroscopy, a light source is directed onto a sample, causing its electrons to transition to higher energy states. This results in a change in the absorption spectrum of the sample, which can be measured using a spectrophotometer. By analyzing the changes in the absorption spectrum, researchers can gain insights into the properties and behavior of the sample.

What are the applications of photoinduced absorption spectroscopy?

Photoinduced absorption spectroscopy is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and physics to study the electronic structure and dynamics of materials. It can also be used to investigate photochemical reactions, photoexcitation processes, and photoinduced phase transitions.

What are the advantages of photoinduced absorption spectroscopy?

One of the main advantages of photoinduced absorption spectroscopy is its ability to study short-lived and transient species. It can also provide information on the electronic and structural changes that occur in a material upon exposure to light. Additionally, photoinduced absorption spectroscopy is a non-destructive technique, making it ideal for studying delicate or rare samples.

What are the limitations of photoinduced absorption spectroscopy?

One limitation of photoinduced absorption spectroscopy is that it requires specialized equipment and expertise to perform. It also relies on the presence of chromophores (molecules that absorb light) in the material being studied, which may not always be present. Additionally, the interpretation of results can be complex and may require additional experiments or computational analysis.

Back